We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Park Charges

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Car Park Charges

We have just visited Polperro (Thusday 5th April 2012), There is only one car park and the fees used to be reasonable. The minimum car park charge is now £4 for 3 hours. Nothing cheaper! Is this just for the Easter holidays and what do you find to do in Polperro for 3 hours?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Car Park Charges

I would have thought 3hours would be a minimum for Polperro! Have a wander round, look at the shops, then depending on the time of day, have coffee, a drink, lunch or a cream tea in a place that takes your fancy!

Unfortunately it looks like the new charges are here to stay and not just for the Easter period.

The car park in Polperro is privately owned, and has reportedly put up it's charges in response to an increase in council car parking charges in other places.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Car Park Charges

i'm not sure about an increase in council car parking charges in other places. On Sunday in Perranporth the Council car park was £1 all day and in Looe and Mevagissey during the week it was £1.20 for an hour. Do you think the Polperro traders will lose out to places with more reasonable parking charges?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
3. Re: Car Park Charges

Hi David

I visit Polperro very regularly and the new charges are of grave concern to all the business people in the village. The car park has recently been purchased by a new owner, who presumably wants to line his pocket without a thought for the welfare of the village. I believe the local business owners have even had a head-to-head with the owner whose original plan was to install a barrier on entry to the car park, and you had to cough up your four quid before you even got in. Imagine the queues that would cause back up the hill to Looe at any time, let alone in high summer. Fortunately, he seems to have had the sense to abandon that hair brained scheme.

I recently stayed in the village at a B & B without any on site parking and it cost me something like £16 to leave the car overnight for two nights in the car park.

At the end of it, he owns it, he can in theory do what he likes, but I totally agree that people may get caught once with these rip off charges, but are unlikely to return.

Midlands
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
4. Re: Car Park Charges

We are staying in Polperro soon Monday to Friday and this is going to add £32.00 - £40.00 on to our break just for parking. Such a shame as I am sure it will have a long term effect on the village tourist trade. Hopefully the B & Bs and accomodation with no parking can come to some sort of arrangement with the owners of the car park.

cheshire,uk
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Car Park Charges

It is a major worry in the village and there have been meetings to try to discuss what steps the business people could take to help counteract the effect of these charges but I don't think anything was suggested that could be a viable solution.

Polperro will survive, I'm sure, but it is an extra burden during difficult economic times.

Hopefully visitors will be told that the charges are nothing to do with anyone in the village but some individual who is only interested in his bank balance.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
376 reviews
6. Re: Car Park Charges

This will put off some people from visiting and no doubt deter others from returning once they have been fleeced before. As there is no alternative parking, he has the monopoly, knowing people have to park in his car park and pay whatever he chooses. The losers are the buisnesses in Polperro, there are plenty of other attractive villages to take the disgruntled public.

Shameful.

cheshire,uk
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Car Park Charges

If visitors do feel fleeced at the car park it is vital that they have a good experience once in the village and that they are paying sensible prices for whatever they buy during their visit.

They will be really cheesed off and won't come back if they feel ripped off by the parking and then their ice creams, pasties etc etc.. The car park charges would be moaned about but, hopefully, they will enjoy the village enough to think it worthwhile.

Cottage owners need to make allowances for car parking costs or absorb it in their charges otherwise, as suggested, people will stay elsewhere then the whole village suffers the loss of revenue.

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
157 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Car Park Charges

I am afraid its not just polperro,I feel the car parking charges in a lot of cornish towns are bloody high .

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
376 reviews
9. Re: Car Park Charges

Thats probably a fair comment, but the £4 minimum at Polperro seems extortionate. Some people may only want to spend an hour or so there.

cheshire,uk
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Car Park Charges

Hopefully, they will stay for their full 3 hours. Just hope the weather behaves itself this Summer - makes all the difference. Fingers crossed.

Get answers to your questions about Polperro
More Polperro Topics