We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Much to do?!

Wimborne, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Much to do?!

Dear all

I’m hoping to stay in Polperro next month for a couple of nights with my husband.

Really would like to know if anything will be open in November. We don’t need much to occupy us, would just like places to eat and maybe a few shops to look around.

We will have a car so happy to drive around to visit other places.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
12 replies to this topic
Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
709 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Much to do?!

Personally I would stay in Looe and then take the short drive into Polperro. there will certainly be more places open to eat and shop in, in Looe than in Polperro. if you are around over fireworks night there is usually an excellent display up at Tencreek. Some of the restaurants might be on winter opening hours so its worth checking this out first.

Mentioned in this post
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
1,541 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Much to do?!

We visited Polperro in late October a few years ago on an evening and virtually had it to ourselves.....extremely peaceful with some pubs and restaurants open.We stayed in Looe at a little B and B on The Quay and Looe was significantly busier at night but did seem to all but close up fairly early.Like post 1 points out,staying at Looe is a decent idea.

Mentioned in this post
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Much to do?!

Depends which days. Mid-week everywhere will be quiet with some restaurants only opening Thurs-Sun. Polperro British Legion have various functions, check/ contact via Facebook. Similarly Millpool centre in Looe. At week-ends there are usually Collectors fairs at Lostwithiel. Looe TIC publishes a What's On list each month (Literary Festival mid-Nov). I agree Looe would be preferable, unless it is the week-end.

https://www.lostwithiel.org.uk/index.php

http://millpoolcentre.org/

visit-southeastcornwall.co.uk/eventslist.php…

Mentioned in this post
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
4. Re: Much to do?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 October 2017, 16:35

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Much to do?!

Jelloid self promotion is not allowed

Wimborne, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Much to do?!

Thank you all for your advice.

We will be staying Friday and Saturday night, as this seams most sensible!

Really just want to make sure we’ll get breakfast and evening meal (if not included where we decide to stay).

LMM

Surrey
Level Contributor
362 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Much to do?!

All the pubs will be open. The bakers is always open too. Most restaurants will be open in the evening at the weekend. Not all the shops will be open, but some will be.

The Mill House does breakfast for non residents.

I don't think Looe and Polperro are interchangeable. Polperro has it's own magical charm and a very different feel to Looe. I think staying in Polperro is very atmospheric, especially in the winter, when it is very peaceful.

Mentioned in this post
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
1,541 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Much to do?!

Polperro will always be my favourite between the two.The Ship Inn on Fore Street is a decent place for a bite to eat.We sat in the small garden at the rear of the pub,prices were very reasonable too.The Blue Peter Inn in Quay Road has been quoted as many peoples favourite pub in the whole of England.A very lively atmosphere with good food also served and has decent views out to the harbour. Boatzer glass bottom boat trips which leave the quayside at Looe (and sail to Polperro briefly stopping at Talland Bay)are a great way to spend a morning.We fed seals which were enticed over to the boat by the skipper..you may have to ring to find out whether they will sail....

Mentioned in this post
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
The Blue Peter Inn
The Blue Peter Inn
1,851 Reviews
Polperro, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
Talland Bay
Talland Bay
131 Reviews
Looe, UK
Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Much to do?!

There's always places to eat open in November and its very quite, we have been coming down mid to late October outside the schools holidays for years and enjoy the more relaxed approach rather than the mad hustle in the summer months. Crumpled Horn is open also for meals / drinks as a few other places have also been mentioned, if you are coming in a car book a place to stay with parking the charges are on a par with central London. Final tip keep out of the public toilets, 20p to enter and the most disgusting, unhealthy and dirty toilets I have been into both male & unusually female are the same (as my wife would like to add).

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Much to do?!

We have only just stayed there. I would recomend you stay in Loo and visit Polperro.

Yes there are shops, restaurents, the harbour and little beach, but 1 - 3 hrs would probably be enough.

Restaurants don't open before 9am for breakfast then close again till 6.30ish. Quite a few places have already closed for winter.

Edited: 30 October 2017, 17:48
Mentioned in this post
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
Reply to: Much to do?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Polperro
Recent Conversations
More Polperro Topics