We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devon and Cornwall

Dalton, GA
Level Contributor
42 posts
Devon and Cornwall

I have 3 full days to spend in the West of England and had decided to concentrate on Devon and Cornwall. But - WHERE TO BEGIN!!! After LOTS of reading I've narrowed it probably just to West Cornwall. Is that a big mistake??? I am going to be in a rental car.

"must sees" - St. Michael's Mount and Tate St. Ives.

Would you advise staying in one spot and going out on 3 day trips ... and if so where?

Or would you suggest staying 1 night in 3 different places?

Don't you think this is too short a time to also try to visit another county?

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
1,618 reviews
1. Re: Devon and Cornwall

To be honest 3 days is not enough to see West Cornwall never mind both counties mentioned.If you do base yourself in West Cornwall you could base yourself/selves in Penzance and have a couple of day trips from there.I would suggest Kynance cove, Porthcurno and the Minack theatre,then perhaps Fowey and Mevagissey and finally a trip up to St ives on your final day.All of these are very doable in 3 days.Devon would be asking just that little bit too much.Some of the real experts on here should be able to point you in the right direction but this is what i would do with limited time.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Devon and Cornwall

stay in one place and concentrate on west Cornwall.

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Devon and Cornwall

What time of year are you coming?

Penzance would be a good base for what you want to see although if you have your own transport you have a lot more options. What sort of place do you want to stay in - middle of nowhere, village with pub, larger village with several pubs or eating options (eg Mousehole) or town?

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
1,618 reviews
4. Re: Devon and Cornwall

If you do travel to West Cornwall by car you could not do much better than staying in Mousehole itself.......

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Devon and Cornwall

Also, when you say three full days, it's that including travelling time? If so, I.e.day 1 of 3 sees you starting from London or even Bristol and travelling down, then you only have one full day, and I would go somewhere closer than West Cornwall.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
1,618 reviews
6. Re: Devon and Cornwall

It is not a lot of time regardless.Where will you be travelling from?

Dalton, GA
Level Contributor
42 posts
7. Re: Devon and Cornwall

I will be coming to Cornwall by train from London in the latter part of September and will have 3 full days there.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
1,618 reviews
8. Re: Devon and Cornwall

Then may i perhaps suggest Penzance as your base?Some of the places suggested in earlier comments maybe a trifle difficult to get to.

Dalton, GA
Level Contributor
42 posts
9. Re: Devon and Cornwall

Would LOVE to stay in a lodging with a room overlooking St. Michael's Mount - and we do have a car. But the Old CoastGuard Hotel is a bit too rich for my blood (too $$$). Any other places of which you know? Is there anywhere in Marazion?

Dalton, GA
Level Contributor
42 posts
10. Re: Devon and Cornwall

Neglected to mention that we plan to rent a car once we reach Cornwall ...

Get answers to your questions about Mousehole
Recent Conversations
More Mousehole Topics