We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from London?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
1,339 reviews
Flying from London?

If flying from London (Heathrow) what is the most practical airport to fly into and rent a car car to drive mousehole and area. Coming from Canada and will create a stop over in London to get there.

10 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Flying from London?

Nearest airport to Mousehole would be Newquay but you would need to fly from London Gatwick.

If that's not suitable then from Heathrow you would have to travel overland by car or train (or bus) as there are no flights from Heathrow to the south west.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
2. Re: Flying from London?

umm - Heathrow. That's if I've read the question the right way round

There's nowhere in the southwest that has domestic flights from Heathrow

London City may be getting flights to Exeter later in the yeat

Edited: 14 September 2014, 16:52
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Flying from London?

Don't think there's anywhere convenient you can fly to from Heathrow.

If you could fly direct from wherever your start point is to Dublin then you could connect to Bristol which is slightly closer.

If you're going direct from Heathrow to Cornwall then airlink coach to Reading and then train to somewhere you can spend a night and then hire a car is probably your best bet. If you intend to stay in London first, then you can get the train from Paddington or hire a car and drive all the way.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
920 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Flying from London?

It might be worth considering getting the train from London (Paddington) to Penzance and hiring a car there. Depends whether your plans could accommodate that but I think it would be preferable to having to go to Gatwick to get a plane to Newquay and then driving down to Mousehole.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Flying from London?

Best to travel by train from Heathrow because of the restrictions on baggage. Train to Penzance and hire a car from there would work best.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
1,339 reviews
6. Re: Flying from London?

I am landing at Heathrow from Toronto and on to JNB , but thought I would spend a few days going down near Mousehole where my grandfather was originally from, just checking roots. Is there a train from heathrow to Penzance or do I go into London. Too bad no flights.

Thanks for all your help.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
376 reviews
7. Re: Flying from London?

No train direct from Heathrow. Either take Heathrow express into London Paddington station then direct train to Penzance or railair coach link from Heathrow to Reading station where you pick up same train to Penzance.

TX
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Flying from London?

In 2012 we flew into Heathrow and took the train from Paddington to Penzance, as has been suggested above. Took a taxi from Penzance to our cottage in Paul (just up the lane from Mousehole), then collected our rent car in Penzance the following day. That's what I'd do again, instead of driving all the way down from the London area.

England
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
84 reviews
9. Re: Flying from London?

In august we met a couple who flew from Southend (near London to the east.... has the longest pleasure pier in the world) to Newquay

They thought it was great.

Edited: 17 September 2014, 18:31
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: Flying from London?

I just returned and took the night train from Paddington to Penzance, and hired a car in Penzance. I was based in Flushing for the week. It was a fab trip, highly recommend it.

Reply to: Flying from London?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mousehole
Recent Conversations
More Mousehole Topics