We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
315 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

We will be driving from Bath to Cornwall. I have rooms reserved in both towns, but am debating which to base in.

We are doing some castles and gardens, St Michaels Mount and mines.

The room I have reserved in St Ives has a sea a view.

The room in Falmouth does not, and is cheaper.

Any advice would be great?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

Hi there

I take it you mean you have rooms reserved in St Ives and Falmouth? It's rather hard to know which one to suggest as I'd need to know which castles and gardens you wish to visit. At the end of it, St Ives and Falmouth aren't that far apart, maybe 24-25 miles although it's nowhere as much as that as the crow flies. St Ives is better for the far west, sights like St Michaels Mount, Minack Theatre, Lands End, Cape Cornwall, Geevor mine, and the many ancient stones circles and quoits in that specific area.

If by castles you mean Pendennis, and St Mawes, and by gardens you mean Trelissick, Trebah and Glendurgan, then Falmouth is better, but it's swings and roundabouts really, given that you want to see sights around the entire general area.

Falmouth is also easier for access to the Lizard and Roseland peninsulas but really, there's nothing in it so I'd book the room with the sea view and pay the extra few pounds.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 16:25
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

I ran out of editing time but one thing I'd definitely recommend is that you drive the B3306 road from St Ives to St Just, ( or the other way) one of the most scenic in southwest England, sea views, rugged landscapes, granite villages and lots of old tin mine workings that you can walk right up close to.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 16:27
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
315 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

I can't believe I did not use the right town!!! It is indeed St Ives vs Falmouth.

And you are quite astute, while I am not. :-)

Yes, it is Penndennis and St Mawes and Glendurgen.

I passed on ocean view in Falmouth when I first searched for rooms, and now it is way too late for seaview rooms....hence, St Ives.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

I would go with St Ives, if you have a good hotel with seaview booked, though you will have more driving to do then. Its not a significant amount extra and St Ives is lovely, so go with your best choice.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
315 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

Thanks so much badcat.

I am leaning towards St Ives.

At first the seaview was not that important to us, but have since decided we should go for it.

The hotels in Falmouth were slim pickings right about now.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
910 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

I would recommend Falmouth It's a lovely friendly coastal town, you can do day trips out and about as It's very central to. Falmouth has a good mix of shops, high street, boutique and individual shops. There are plenty of restaurants to suit all tastes, mix of traditional family pubs or wine bars! Beaches galore ideal for going for a stroll or safe for swimming. As you mentioned and GB, Pendennis Castle is a must as is St.Mawes or you can take the ferry across the River Fal to St.Mawes Castle and yes there is NT gardens Glendurgan or Trebah Gardens both in a quaint village called Mawnan Smith, just outside Falmouth which is accessable by bus. The City of Truro Is 9 miles away you can catch the train or bus from Falmouth or even use the water taxi from the pier, this lovely city is well worth a visit with good high street stores and coffee shops etc., . Accommodation B&B, Guest Houses, Hotels are plentiful too....All these offer seaviews: Falmouth Hotel, Royal Duchy Hotel, St.Michaels Hotel, Falmouth Beach Hotel and have indoor pools and are opposite the beach on Falmouth Seafront or do a Google and if you choose a few you like the look of happy to offer any advice if I can.

You will find with St.Ives your always going up and down the same area.....but can easily be done on a day trip from Falmouth!

Caz

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
315 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

Thanks Caz, I will think about what you just said!

OR,

I could get a deluxe oceanview hotel Chy An Albany in St Ives.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

i would pick St Ives over Falmouth any day and i live in Falmouth and its overrated and not really much going on down there and you will be disappointed

theres more things closer if you stay in St Ives and more nicer places

places like Penzance ( St Michaels Mount ) & Lands End, you will be far better off staying there than in Falmouth as theres isnt really much there contrary to what others have said and from people who arent even from cornwall

let the flaming commence :)

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,591 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

still spreading sunshine and warmth throughout the forums

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Falmouth or Cornwall for 4 days?

Kernow, as usual, you are way out of line, and really, you do set yourself up for all that you receive.

So, Falmouth is "disappointing"?

In what way? Please tell us, as I for one, have spent many a happy day wandering around the town, seeing the sights down by the old custom house quayside, Pendennis Castle, the Maritime Museum, enjoying some of the best pubs in Cornwall, the walks, the beaches and the pleasant atmosphere. I've had some good meals in various restaurants in Falmouth and stayed in decent accommodation.

I may not "come" from Cornwall, I don't live there anymore, although I did live in Polperro for many years, so why would that make the information I give any less reliable than yours? Have you ever considered working for your local Tourist Office? I sincerely hope not, because with such a glowing and warm affinity for your town and county, you'd succeed in having Cornwall closed down within 6 months.

Again, I ask you, why bother posting about Cornwall when clearly, you dislike it so much?

And finally, to JUdyrem, don't take a blind bit of notice of what kernow says, I think he's mislaid his medication.