We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help dont know where to stay.

Alston, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
Help dont know where to stay.

Hi Can fellow travellers advise on where best to stay.?

Want to rent a cottage in summer,would like to stay in a typical cornish fishing village with a harbour.

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

Hi there,

There are lots of typical fishing villages, most of them very nice.

What else would you like? eg Beaches, Pubs, restaurants, walks, history, art etc.

With a little more info then I think you'll get more help and advice.

Jake

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
2. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

Hi there

Polperro is our favourite, in fact we've just returned from a week in a lovely cottage there.

Take a look at www.polperro.org for loads of info on the village plus links to loads of holiday cottages.

We have stayed at "Lucy's" cottage several times, sleeps two, is warm, comfortable, very well equipped and is a two minute stroll from the pubs, shops and restaurants in the village.

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 16 March 2012, 15:33
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
376 reviews
3. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

Mevagissey, Mousehole, Polperro already mentioned, are the traditional harbours with fishing boats. Padstow is a little larger, Fowey would also be ok but is an estuary harbour, as is Falmouth which is larger again, and St Mawes opposite side of the river from Falmouth.

Alston, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

Thankyou people...

Its beaches we are looking for and some history...not to far from shops,restaurants...and a harbour..lol..but having a car will obviously mean we can get to all those things.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
122 reviews
5. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

I would recommend Falmouth It's a lovely friendly coastal town, you can do day trips out and about as It's very central to. Falmouth has a good mix of shops, high street, boutique and individual shops. There are plenty of restaurants to suit all tastes, mix of traditional family pubs or wine bars! Beaches galore ideal for going for a stroll or safe for swimming. Things to see/do: Merlin Cinema, Pendennis Castle or you can take the ferry across the River Fal to St.Mawes Castle. Falmouth also has Ships and Castles leisure complex (swimming pool and gym), there are NT gardens Glendurgan or Trebah Gardens both in a quaint village called Mawnan Smith, just outside Falmouth which is accessable by bus. The City of Truro Is 9 miles away you can catch the train or bus from Falmouth or even use the water taxi from the pier, this lovely city is well worth a visit with good high street stores and coffee shops etc., . Accommodation B&B, Guest Houses, Hotels are plentiful too....Falmouth Hotel, Royal Duchy Hotel, St.Michaels Hotel, Falmouth Beach Hotel all have indoor pools and are opposite the beach on Falmouth Seafront or do a Google and if you choose a few you like the look of happy to offer any advice if I can.

Alston, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

Thankyou Caz n kel for your lengthly and full of advice reply,i will have have a look at falmouth too,i would probably stay on the out skirts tho as I am wanting some peace and tranquility and away from the hustle and bustle,Falmouth looks pretty big...def somewhere i would visit too.Thanks again.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
122 reviews
7. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

Hi, Mylor Bridge or Flushing are a couple of miles away and very pretty estury villages. I would pick Mylor as It has more of a community shops/ post office and the beautiful thatched inn Pandora inn (you may have seen recent posts on this, as it had a horrendous fire a year ago and has been beautifully restored to It's former glory!)

Flushing one shop but does have a small passenger ferry across the river to Falmouth.....

If you would like more info just ask!!

Caz

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
8. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

Hi again

There's a small beach at Polperro, but only at low tide, but it's a 5 minute drive to Looe where there's a huge, sandy beach.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157624388632717

Alston, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

Excellent..ive decided on Polperro,we will have our car so can drive to beach etc...now just to find the perfect cottage :0)

10. Re: Help dont know where to stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 March 2012, 10:52