We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

herts
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

Would like to visit Cornwall next summer but don't want to drive there so will come by train. Where's a good place to stay that has train connections so that we can get out and about? Is it do able? Would like to visit the Eden Project and the Lost Garden. Would it make more sense to hire a car once we get there? I don't want to drive on busy roads. Any help would be appreciated.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
910 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

Hi i would like to suggest Falmouth as a base, this is ideally situated in Cornwall for touring around. You can travel from London to Truro and then catch the branch line to Falmouth from here :) Falmouth is a very pretty small town situated on the River Fal and has lots to offer see the Inside Pages for Falmouth, Cornwall....and if you would like any further information then please do not hesitate to contact me :)

Falmouth is cetrally located for touring the whole of Cornwall...similar distances to Eden - Newquay - St.Ives - The Lizard.

I really think a car would be the best option for you getting out and about, as you will be able to access all the best places this way, Cornwall's public transport system is not as good as the London area so please bear this in mind.

...which month are you thinking about?

Hope some of this helps Caz :)

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

Have to say as I can't drive I've only used public transport in Cornwall and have always managed to get just about everywhere I wanted. The only exceptions are Lanyon Quoit and Men-an-Tol to which I walked from St Ives. In summer there are likely to be extra bus services and you might be better off not having a car to park as things get very congested.

england
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

do you mean best for transport? If so Plymouth or Truro. Newquay has masses of hotels and is cheaper than Falmouth. It is also more crowded and noisy. Public transport isn't good, personally I'd hire the car when you get there. If looking at transport don't forget the buses www.destination-cornwall.co.uk/travbus.htm

herts
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

Thanks to you all for the suggestions, will have a look at Falmouth. Are thinking about coming in July or September, I guess September will be quieter and perhaps cheaper.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

How long are you coming for? If a week then Falmouth makes a good base with sufficient to do for a few days with a local car rental for a couple of days in the middle perhaps?

Because Falmouth has the river location you can then do side trips quite easily. There is a daily trip to Eden I think but not sure that you can get to Heligan on the same trip so that might be one for the car (Eden in the morning, heligan in the afternoon with lunch in Mevagissey perhaps?)

Another car day would be perhaps St Ives/Sennen and the west or Lizard?

Without the car you can hop on the ferry to St Mawes and explore that side. Lunch at Rising Sun?

Or maybe train to Truro and ferry back down the river (Lunch at the Heron at Malpas) Depending on timings you may even be able to squeeze in Trelissick as well.

As you seem to be into your gardens Trebah is near Falmouth which if there wasn't a convenient bus a cab would be just about doable.

As for weather this year Sept has trumped July. Also Sept is still got good light well into the evening so if you want to have a slightly more relaxed trip aim for the first week after schools go back.

Enjoy.

herts
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

Thanks cornish pasty.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

Hi there

There are very few branch lines in Cornwall these days so you are somewhat limited to the places accessible by train.

The main line runs down through the Duchy via Saltash, Liskeard, Bodmin Road, St Austell, Truro, Redruth and finally Penzance. Branch lines run from Liskeard to Looe, a really scenic little run of around 7 miles, Par (near St Austell) to Newquay, Truro to Penryn & Falmouth and St Erth (near Hayle) to St Ives, another scenic little branch.

Places like The Eden Project are close to St Austell but too far to walk. Heligan is on the road to Mevagissey from St Austell near Pentewan. If you come down anytime in the summer, then the roads are likely to be congested, especially if the weather is poor when everyone then takes to their cars to look for something to do. If the weather's good, then everyone's on the beach!

Places like Polperro are reachable from Looe via bus or taxi but for complete freedom, I reckon you ought to consider renting a car. Train fares X 2 (?) soon add up to the point where a car won't be that much dearer.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
910 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

Hi MarthaHerts, If you came in September it would be quieter - the children go back to school around the 3rd of September also we tend to have nice weather at this time of year :) Caz

Denmark
Level Contributor
481 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

Hi MartaHertz!

I visited Cornwall by train last Easter.

I stayed at the Allens Bed & Breakfast. An excellent place by the way that is close to the train station in St Austell.

As the bus station and train station are at the same place (at walking distance of the b&b), you will not have problems at all visiting Eden Project and Helligan Garden, as I did. (St Austell is very close too to beatiful Fowey and Megavissey)

The Bus T9 from St Austell station takes you to Eden Project in 19 minutes.

You can check the bus times here where you can plan your trip in detail in advance (again, as I did)

cornwallpublictransport.info/bus_timetables.…

. I travelled to Penzance by train (after staying 2 days in St Austell) and then I visited Moushole, St Michael Mount, Tresco (by helicopter), St Just and Lands End all by bus. No problems at all, no delays: everything was perfect and on time. I visited Lostwithiel too by train, by the way..

No matter what, I can tell you that Cornwall is beautifull and I miss it

a lot :-(

You can check my reviews in my profile of all the places I mentioned.

Have a good trip and ejoy it (wish it was me...)

best regards

oscar :-)

St Just, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cornwall by train, where's the best place to stay?

I agree with you Martha... Cornwall is both an awesome place to visit and an awful place to get to! I think thre are two good options for you. Both involve hire cars.

Option 1 is to take a train to Truro. There is a Hertz shop embedded at Truro Station. It's a breeze to hire a car rom the station. Alternatively, there's what I call option 2...

Option 2 is about flying to Newquay Airport. Air SouthWest, BA and and a few others fly there... and there are two car hire firms operating from the airport.. but take care.. they shut if the last flight is delayed!

Regarding where to stay... try the Roseland Peninsula. A good website to find accommodation is www.acornishriver.co.uk

Regards

Mark