We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

7 posts
Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

We’re looking at a stay next summer & can’t decide on the above. We have children under 8, like to be close to a nice sandy beach, ideally have a pub, cafe & shop(s) within walking distance.

TIA

10 replies to this topic
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
98 reviews
1. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

I've stayed in Harlyn and Trevone several times over the years. I assume you'll have a car so in many ways it doesn't matter too much as you'll likely want to visit all of these places anyway?

I don't think any of these places have shops in the supermarket sense. There's a beach shop in Trevone but it sells the very basic in food. There's a Tesco in Padstow that you'd likely use for food.

Polzeath could be one to look into as that does actually have a very small Spar (I think, could be another brand), a few different eating places, pubs, very nice large sandy beach.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

I think they all have cafe & pub, & beaches. Mawgan Porth has a convenience shop, a pitch n putt course, directly on the bus route into Newquay and Padstow. A small cluster of shops between Mawgan and Newquay, can't remember where. But as Wardms says no real way of choosing between them - compare accommodation available to see if that can help with a decision. I think Polzeath is a bit isolated, if weather not too good you might want to get to Newquay (zoo etc) to keep the children occupied.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
98 reviews
3. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

Also, the pub in Trevone isn't one I'd bother returning to quickly.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
74 reviews
4. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

Trevone or Harlyn are better for the children but Harlyn offers surf lessons and the pub is good.

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
723 reviews
5. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

Personally I would unquestionably suggest Mawgan Porth. Although not big, it has much more to offer than the other two.

Each have a pub, but the one in Mawgan Porth is the best of the three overlooking the beach and with a nice garden overlooking the sea. It has the best menu as well. The pub at Harlyn is OK but although on the road by the beach does not overlook the beach. The pub in Trevone is not on the beach and, like wardms, not a pub I would go back to.

This is one rare occasion where I have to disagree with my knowledgeable co-poster Bella Hampshire that Trevone or Harlyn are better for children. In my opinion both Mawgan Porth and Harlyn are equally good for children and are bigger than Trevone, and while all have lifeguards to watch areas that can be unsafe for swimming, Trevone has a tremendous rip at one side and far more dangerous if you get caught in it. I don't think it's that good for children for that reason. Although you don't mention dogs, Trevone has a summer dog ban while the other two are dog friendly.

Harlyn is very limited for shops/café other than the pub and small shop by the pub. Trevone is a bit better with a café and a small general shop that sells limited foodstuff. Mawgan Porth is much better equipped. It has a fairly large and well-stocked supermarket style store (The Village Stores) which sells most grocery items, including beer, fruit & veg, delicatessen, bakery goods and pasties etc. There are also a number of other shops, a fish & chip shop/take-away, a more upmarket fish restaurant (The Catch), a couple of cafes and so on. While not a large holiday centre it has far more by way of facilities than the other two.

Both Mawgan Porth and Harlyn Bay are on the Newquay - Padstow bus route but Trevone is not on a bus route.

Surfing better at Harlyn, but still good at Mawgan Porth, and there are hire facilities at both. Harlyn is better for surfing lessons as it has a well-regarded surf school. I'm not sure about Trevone, but I haven't seen any surf lessons from there.

Hope this helps, but for me Mawgan Porth offers more

Edited: 11 September 2018, 17:08
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

The children are "under 8" so I'm not sure surfing comes into it just yet. I seem to remember there is a stream emerging on to the beach at Mawgan Porth, similar to Crackington Haven, which is good for construction projects in the sand.

I have not been in the area with young children but was impressed with Mawgan Porth when we spent a day meeting old friends. As Malarbarfly says there seemed to be a lot of facilities for such a small place. I was also impressed with his priorities of items stocked by local shop.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
74 reviews
7. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

Ahem, surfing 'lessons' start pre-school! No matter what the age they get something out of it, provided they're not all under 4...

7 posts
8. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

Thanks everyone that’s really helpful. Mawgan Porth is swaying it slightly I think with what’s in the village & the pub but will definitely pay a visit to the others!

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

It may be a silly argument ...

https://www.harlynsurfschool.co.uk/book/ ... booking terms define child 8-11

https://www.kingsurf.co.uk/booking/ ... ... and 7 & swim 50m

thesurfclubcornwall.co.uk/surf-lessons-mawga… ... T&C minimum age 6 for lessons.

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
723 reviews
10. Re: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?

It may be a silly argument, as why is it assumed that the surfing references are for the children. It's very possible that either or both of the parents might want to have a go while there!

Reply to: Harlyn Bay, Trevone or Mawgan Porth as a base?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted