We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

Sandwich, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

Hey, TA hivemind: We will be traveling in Cornwall in September & need to get a bus from Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station on Sunday, Sept. 23. Taxis are excoriatingly expensive, so not really an option. Do ANY buses run this route on Sundays in the fall??? Everything I find is wildly contradictory. All help appreciated, Thanks so much!

9 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

There doesn't seem to be any Sunday bus service (and even on other days of the week a change en route would be required), so a pre-booked taxi is really your only option. A fact of rural British life, I am afraid.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

Have a look at travelinesoutheast.org.uk there does seem to be a bus with one change at Wadebridge but the journey is over 3 hours. Given the vagaries of public transport in Cornwall, your safest bet would be a taxi. Make sure it is booked in advance. If you are staying in Tintagel and would like to explore Cornwall then I suggest you hire a car. However you will have a problem returning it on a Sunday.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

<< need to get a bus from Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station on Sunday>> Why? Other routes to wherever you are really going are available ...

Wildly contradictory? Yes. During the Summer the Sunday service, route 96, is better than other days of the week for Tintagel. Unfortunately for you the Sunday service ceases on 09 Sep, according to the operator timetable:-

https:/…

Travelinesoutheast does show the journey using that timetable, it isn't very reliable in picking up service terminations etc. So I'd check with the operator.

An alternative route in any case would be 96 to Bude and 6A to Exeter to intercept the London train (I'm assuming ...). If the 96 isn't available taxi to Bude may be the compromise, or taxi to Wadebridge.

https:/…6_WEB_250218_FINAL.pdf

There are National Express buses from Wadebridge to London at 8:20 direct service arrives Victoria 19:40,, having passed through Heathrow at 14:45. 10:35 requiring a change at Plymouth - where you could swap to train, or National Express to Heathrow or Victoria, or possibly Megabus to London,

It would be easier to help if you specified your target destination, I'm guessing you aren't staying at Bodmin Parkway.

Sandwich, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

Thanks, all, this is really helpful. We're traveling from one difficult place to another - Tintagel to Minehead (Dunster). Train then bus from Bodmin Station to Taunton thence Minehead looks okay. I guess we'll suck it up & work on a pre-arranged taxi for the Tintagel-Bodmin Parkway segment. Thanks again for the advice.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
786 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

Could you not hire a car to make things a lot easier?

Public transport here is not always reliable and often late or don't turn up at all thanks to breakdowns!!

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

More contradiction, the other way around. Route 28 Timetable (Taunton - Dunster) is shown on Travelinesoutheast as being valid until 09/09/2018, whereas the Operator web-site makes no mention. So again - check., and re-check nearer the time.

I remain puzzled at your commitment to Bodmin Parkway which is 20 miles in the wrong direction.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

Ignoring Clanline's pessimistic view on public transport (it isn't that bad- honest !), here are a couple of other thoughts:

- If you have not already purchased your ticket, a train from Exeter to Taunton should be significantly cheaper and quicker than from Bodmin to Taunton. You could therefore use the time and money saved to take a taxi from Tintagel to Launceston or Bude, then bus 6/6A to Exeter (as suggested by Penmere).

- I am not convinced that the Sunday bus service from Tintagel to Bude or Wadebridge finishes on 9th September - that is just when the timetable changes next. Therefore you need to email the operator (First Kernow) to see what they have planned - cornwall@firstgroup.com .

P-t-B

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,044 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

>>> I am not convinced that the Sunday bus service from Tintagel to Bude or Wadebridge finishes on 9th September - that is just when the timetable changes next. <<<

I would agree with that. I notice the Monday-Friday timetable ends on 14th September and the Saturday timetable on 15th September, so that suggests a revised timetable will apply from Sunday 16th September.

I suggest you come back and plan this closer to the time, when more up-to-date information is available (don't forget the Bude-Exeter bus, the Taunton-Dunster bus and the train times may all change as well).

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
786 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???

Phil-------My wife went to Wadebridge today and the bus was 30 minutes late arriving/leaving Tintagel and 30 minutes late leaving Wadebridge on way back!!!!

No explanations either!

Not being pessimistic as you state but stating fact and with so few buses available a late bus can cause all sorts of problems with missed connections!

When my wife goes up country she goes the Tintagel to Bude-then Bude to Exeter bus routes and then train from Exeter St Davids.

Reply to: Sunday Buses From Tintagel to Bodmin Parkway Station???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted