We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Cornwall (8 days)

Reading, United...
1 post
First time in Cornwall (8 days)

My husband and I are planning a trip to Cornwall in early September. We are quite flexible at the moment. The idea is to drive from Reading and stay 1 night somewhere in the way in and back (suggestions of nice places are welcome - maybe Glastonbury as an option?). So with that we would have about 6 days in Cornwall.

We are willing to visit beautiful beaches (preferentially not so busy) to relax in the sun and have a sea bath, visit any stunning sights and landscapes and maybe do a 1-day hike (easy-moderate level). St Ives is a must on our itinerary.

We would also prefer to stay at least 2 nights at each place, so would be good to get an idea of places that are at a fair distance to the beaches/attractions. We are foodies, so good infrastructure with great restaurants for dinner are preferable.

Looking forward to hear some advice!

18 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

September will still be quite busy as many people without school commitments take their holidays then. Often the weather then is good but there is no guarantee you will be able to relax in the sun. Padstow is great for restaurants and to access north coast beaches. You could also stay in the St Ives area eg Carbis Bay. From there you could either walk into St Ives or take the train. Don’t try to drive into the old part of St Ives as the streets are narrow and parking a nightmare. An alternative tobstay on the south coast would be Falmouth.

Wherever you decide to stay, ask about parking before booking.

2. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2018, 11:07

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

PS I am a senior woman with excellent driving history

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,313 posts
217 reviews
4. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

Persimmon, sharing car hire with a stranger isn’t a great idea. What if they don’t have an “excellent driving history”? Maybe they’ll turn out to be terrible drivers? Or they’re happy to drive drunk? A stranger you contact on the internet might not be who they say they are or even the gender or age they say they are.

What about the insurance? Or responsibility for the excess if there’s an accident?

What if they or you want to stay longer in a place. Does the other person just get left behind? What if they take the car and drive off?

Maybe I’m over reacting but, as another poster said recently, sometimes there are no second chances.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

OP, you would have to be added or add someone to your car rental agreement, which all sounds a rather complicated thing to do with a complete stranger...

Car hire here is quite cheap - try Thrifty, they're generally very good and drive yourself.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

Hi Bella - #2 is a hijack, not OP. Should report inappropriate as ..?

Persimmon, I think you will find there are car-sharing web-sites, mainly for 1 trip rather than a few days. As Bella and BestCornish say this seems risky, and TA isn't the place, especially someones else's thread - as you see it is already causing confusion. I know nothing, here is one: https://liftshare.com/uk

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

Thanks Penmere

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

A disappointing response for the OP, perhaps because of the hijack, this type of query usually gets a us going. So Bump

If Glastonbury attracts you then fine, I don't think it is popular on the forum. Two places that are = Sherborne and Tavistock. Sherborne is half way and would offer the opportunity of visiting Stonehenge or Stourhead Gardens en route (A303) and receives glowing recommendations in its own right. Assuming St Ives is the furthest destination Tavistock would is nearer there than Reading, apart from being a pleasant market town you could meander home across Dartmoor to get to Exeter and then the Motorway hack.

As St Ives is a "must" head there for 3 nights, check parking, and then 3 nights further East; Padstow is the obvious choice for foodie, although places such as Looe are on the up.

Looe Music Festival is 21-23rd Sep, if it attracts good, but also may detract, especially effect on accommodation.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

Apologies that some thought I had hijacked the site!

All is OK now, and will hire car alone. It is usually easy to add a second driver but, I agree, that could be risky.

Obviously the itinerary would have been worked out prior to the trip. I am not the kind of person to let someone down - quite the opposite.

Best wishes for all travelelers.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
71 reviews
10. Re: First time in Cornwall (8 days)

Driving from Reading to Cornwall should't take you that long, to be honest. We drive to Cornwall regularly and travel along the coast via Southampton, Dorchester and Honiton before joining the A30. Even if we are heading all the way down to Mousehole it only takes us about 5-6 hours.

September is a lovely time to visit. Visit St Ives but be prepared to park out of town and take the Park and Ride in. There is a bit of parking but it is very rare to find a space.

Mousehole is a lovely village to visit. It depends on what you are interested in. Obviously seafaring plays a huge role and there is a great museum in Falmouth. If you fancy delving into the history of mining try to visit Geevor. The road from St Ives is one of the picturesque roads of the UK. You could stop off at Zennor and sample some local fare at either the Zennor Chapel Cafe or the Tinner's Arms pub. The church has a pew with a carved end depicting a mermaid. It is said to be the inspiration of a local legend regarding a young man who was entranced by a mermaid singing. She fell in love with him and got permission to become human.

If you like to discover how things happen, try the Porthcurno Telegraph Museum or go up to the Minack Theatre.

There is so much to do, you will realise that one holiday is not enough. Ive been going for the past 30+ years and there is always something to see or visit. Hope you have a wonderful time. We are there in September, heading to the Lizard for a cream tea at Polpeor Cafe down on the point.

Reply to: First time in Cornwall (8 days)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted