We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villages in Devon & Cornwall

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Villages in Devon & Cornwall

Next year we are travelling to Devon & Cornwall as part of a larger holiday around the UK and Europe. We have just three days to explore the area. We know this is not nearly enough but that is what it is. What I would like to know is if you had tree towns/villages to visit in the area which three would you choose

Mentioned in this post
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Europe
Europe
World
33 replies to this topic
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

Padstow and St Ives.

Mentioned in this post
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Christchurch...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

thanks for your reply. Do you have particular reasons for choosing these two?

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
962 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

Here are three. The first two are small towns, not villages but frankly there tends to be more to see and do in a town.

Dartmouth. Riverside town; coastal walks; castle; trips up the river; steam trains; historical connections; shops, pubs restaurant.

Totnes: mixture of traditional market town and centre of active forward-thinking conservationism; river; market; excellent individual shops; galleries; ancient castle; town gateway, guildhall and church. Close to Dartington Hall. Direct train lines to Plymouth, Exeter coastal resorts and London Paddington.

Widecombe in the Moor: granite village in wonderful moorland setting; traditional teashops; great walks; ancient church.

These three are not very far apart but combined they offer a huge variety of landscapes, history and opportunities to explore. Having spent three days there you'd want to come back for three weeks. West Cornwall is lovely too but getting there would take up a bit more of your precious time. Paddington to Penzance is over five hours; Paddingotn to Totnes is less than three.

Mentioned in this post
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Devon, UK
Totnes
Totnes
Devon, UK
Plymouth
Plymouth
Devon, UK
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
London
London
England, UK
Bodmin Moor
Bodmin Moor
157 Reviews
Bodmin, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

I love Cornwall and live there part time, but with the limited time you have I wouldn’t venture further than Devon.

To south central Cornwall the train journey from Paddington, though having the advantage of wonderful scenery en route, is well over four hours, sometimes five. By road from London it’s currently taking around 7 hours (midweek, starting VERY early; winter it takes around 5 hours but has taken up to 12 in summer).

Go with rogeroos’ suggestion. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

What do you want from the visit?

I live in the beautiful village of Altarnun. It has moorland and stunning coastal views within a short drive, an amazing church (Doc Martins wedding was filmed there) and a lovely river with great pub (Rising Sun) but it wouldn't suit if you want hustle/bustle and shops.

If you only have 3 days you need to consider locations within easy reach of one another, particularly if coming during the touristy months.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

Is this 3 clear days or is travelling included? What interests you? Will you have a car?

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

Thanks for all your replies.

We like scenery generally, but are particularly interested in the quaint seaside towns. We don't have any interest in castles or their ruins. I have read that there are fees to go into some of the towns and wondered if these are the ones that you would not want to miss, or are there others that exceed these towns( which charge) and would be better to visit. We will have a car to travel in but we only have time for a three night stay, we would be coming from Bristol. We enjoy the quaint shops etc but are not really interesting in "shopping as such. Please keep the comments coming, you cannot receive better information than from the locals themselves.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Sunny Gold Coast
Level Contributor
592 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

We've just spent a few days each in Mevagissey and Padstow, with day trips to the Lost Gardens of Heligan / Eden Project (while based in Mevagissey) and to Port Isaac and Tintagel (while based in Padstow), and loved both of them!!

Mentioned in this post
Mevagissey
Mevagissey
Cornwall, UK
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
The Lost Gardens of Heligan
The Lost Gardens of...
5,264 Reviews
St Austell, UK
Eden Project
Eden Project
10,278 Reviews
Bodelva, UK
Port Isaac
Port Isaac
Cornwall, UK
Tintagel
Tintagel
Cornwall, UK
Exeter GB
Level Contributor
962 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

'I have read that there are fees to go into some of the towns'

Britain is a free country and we don't have 'closed towns'.

Land values are high here and there is generally a charge for parking a car. This can be annoying in places like Clovelly in Devon and Polperro in Cornwall which are both exceptionally well-known, popular and firmly on the 'tourist circuit. But there are plenty of other places which are just as pretty and not overrun. And compared to the overall cost of coming all the way from New Zealand parking charges will be quite a small burden and should not put you off.

Mentioned in this post
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villages in Devon & Cornwall

So you have 2 clear days. In that case I would miss Cornwall altogether. It would take too much out of your precious time. I note you are coming from Bristol but where are you going afterwards? Is Bristol a destination stop or is it just the airport? Bristol is a very interesting place but it is a huge city - not relevant to this thread but you did ask for locals input!

The only place I know that you have to pay to visit is Clovelly.

All in all I would go with post 3. Devon or Dorset eg Lyme Regis are great places to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Dorset
Dorset