We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus or train to Liverpool?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
38 reviews
bus or train to Liverpool?

It's just a short distance from Chester to Liverpool, but which is better/easier/cheaper? I'm going to Liverpool for the day from Chester and want to get to the docks area. Later in the day I want to catch the National Trust tour bus at Speke Hall to take in John and Paul's houses (tickets already booked). And of course, return to Chester.

Which do you recommend, bus or train?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
1. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

The train runs every half hour, takes 45 minutes and costs £4.20 cheap day return

The bus runs every 20 minutes, takes 1.5 hours and a day ticket (after 9am) is £3.70.

You choose according to your priorities.

Chester
Level Contributor
22 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

I'd suggest taking a train too and there are a couple of good cafes in a little shopping centre that opens onto Mathew St right by the cavern - Chantilly Lace and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

Thank you for the information, dzug and emskilove. I'm surprised by how long the trip is; better skip the cheap day return, I think.

Can either of you, or someone else, advise best way to get from railway station to the docks, and from docks to Speke Hall? I could start slogging away with google, but maybe someone can give me a better tip where to start? Thanks! :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

Stick with the train. The Merseyrail service to/from Chester is covered by the Merseytravel Saveaway ticket scheme. An all day, all zones ticket at £4.30 will cover all of your public transport from Chester Railway Station and throughout the Merseyside area but the ticket is NOT valid before 09:30 on weekdays (evening peak restrictions used to apply but have now been abandoned) and is not valid for bus travel in and around Chester itself. I presume tickets can be purchased at Chester Station, they can be bought in advance because they are self validated using a scratch-card principle to expose the date. For details see:

http://tinyurl.com/ypdz7v

To visit the docks you would disembark at either Liverpool James Street Station (main entrance/exit closed until mid April 2008) or Liverpool Central Station from where it is about half a mile walk to Albert Dock.

Speke Hall (pronounced “speak”) is a long way out of the city (6-8 miles) and is adjacent to the airport. Quickest to use the dedicated Airport bus service (Route 500) from the Paradise Street bus station (directly across the road from Albert Dock) or get a train from Liverpool Central to Liverpool South Parkway and a local bus (Routes 80A or 886) or taxi from there. The buses do not go to the Hall itself, you will need to disembark about half a mile away, explain to the driver and I’m sure he/she will help you out. Allow yourself plenty of time to get to Speke Hall, a good hour at least (30 minutes travel, 15 minutes walk and waiting time etc), no harm in being early because it is worth a visit in its own right (apart from the aircraft noise!) and there is a good tearoom there. The Saveaway ticket I mentioned earlier will cover you for all of the bus/train transfers out to Speke, alternatively a taxi from the city would be at least £15.

For all transport details see http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk

If you are staying in Chester you should also consider using the same train service for a trip to Port Sunlight and the Lady Lever Art Gallery.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

I agree with a few of the previous posts, get the train. Much easier.

We live in Chester and use the train quite a bit to go into Liverpool.

If you want to go to the docks, you could get off the train at Hamilton Square which is still on the Wirral in Birkenhead and get the mersey ferry over the river. you'll have to pay for this seperately but you get a good view. you get off the ferry at the Pier Head. You can see the ferry terminal from the station exitor you could ask one of the station people.

Not sure about getting to Speke Hall, but it's well worth it. You could just get the bus to the airport and then get a cab from the airport, get a card from the driver and then ring for another one when you are finished to go back to the airport. Bit of a faff but it'd do the job.

Have a great stay.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

Tharg7...I did think about the possibility of getting a bus to the airport and then getting a taxi back to Speke Hall but I think there is a snag. I believe that the airport, in their wisdom (that's a twenty-first century euphemism for greed) are now charging an access levy on taxis, a driver who gets a fare that is only going round the corner is going to pass this on to the customer. The dedicated airport bus (Route 500) is scheduled to stop at the Estuary Business Park (on the old airport site) when its open and that would be OK for Speke Hall.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
7. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

Dexter, you clearly have superior knowledge.

I've always gone in the car as we live in Chester, it's all a bit tricky and time consuming by public transport.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

hi britfan

if you can spare some time check out the brand new hard days night hotel a beatle themed hotel just opened in liverpool city centre, 2min walk from james street rail station and located at the top of mathew street, just round the corner from the cavern...maybe have a coffee there... worth seeing enjoy

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

Thank you all for the information! It's very helpful. I did slog around the internet yesterday, but there just is no comparison with real experience in everyday language from people who live it. Thanks again!

CHESTER
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: bus or train to Liverpool?

If you purchase a Saveaway ticket, then that can be used on the Ferries as well, and buses in Merseyside.

The all zones saveaway ticket is £4.70, and can be purchased from the ticket office at Chester station. Valid on Merseyrail trains only from Chester to Hooton though. But the ticket allows you to travel as far as Southport.

On the buses, a day ticket is £3.70 with Firstbus, which allows unlimited travel on the Firstbus network. Though the journey to Liverpool takes a long time on the bus, it does go Via Chester Zoo, and Cheshire Oaks outlet village, which is good for shopping, and has an entertainment complex as well with cinema, 10 pin bowling, and restraunts. Arriva also do a day ticket, which I think is £3.50, and operate a service to Liverpool, but it doesn't go past Cheshire Oaks or Chester Zoo

Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations