We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester long weekend.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
74 reviews
Chester long weekend.

My husband & I are coming to Chester next weekend .We will be there from Friday (7th ) evening until Tuesday afternoon. We plan to walk round & explore Chester on Saturday- any “must see” recommendations apart from the usual Cathedral, walls walk, Roman gardens etc? We would like to visit a garden/ somewhere nice for a walk on Sunday (we are happy to walk 5 or 6 miles) & we have booked the Zoo for Monday. A few questions.. how is parking in Chester? Is there a park & ride? (Our hotel is about 3 miles south) Any particular recommendations for nice gardens to visit, thinking about Mount pleasant sculpture gardens or maybe Abbeywood or Ness botanical gardens? It’s hard to decide! Or anywhere else we should consider? We don't mind travelling few miles out but don't really want to go more than an hour away as it’s already quite a hike up from Norfolk for us! Any suggestions much appreciated from those of you in the know! Many thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,273 posts
82 reviews
1. Re: Chester long weekend.

Of the gardens you mention, Ness is the only I'm familiar with. It's not a favourite with me, but I know others like it. One I do like that is about a half-hour drive from Chester is Cholmondley Castle (as you're from Norfolk it is same family as Houghton Hall IIRC). Only the gardens are open and not every day :

http://www.cholmondeleycastle.com/

You're in Chester over the Heritage Open Days weekend so you could see if there's anything on that appeals to you (we did a guided walk and went in some places not generally open on a visit a few years back):

https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/visiting

Chester does have a Park and Ride:

https:/…park-and-ride.aspx

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Chester long weekend.

If your hotel is to the south of Chester then the Wrexham Road Park and ride would be the one to use. If you do want to drive into the city centre ther are places to park for £5 a day though the best he for you does not open on Sunday as far as I know.

You could spend a pleasant few hours exploring the area around the Amphitheatre and St Johns Church ( Chesters original cathedral and the oldest Norman church possibly in the whole of England.) and Grosvenor Park. Thee are interesting little paths not often found by tourists that lead down to the river behind St John’s and the park.

As for gardens, Cheshire is known for its gardens so look up,Cheshire Gardens of Distinction for ideas. Less than an hours drive away you have Bodnant Gardens in the Conwy Valley where you can wall all day through all types of gardens from a leafy dell to a formal rose garden.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Chester long weekend.

Thank you both for the great ideas! Chelmsleywood Castle looks lovely (& we know Houghton Hall well & love it!) so thanks for the heads up. I've checked the heritage open days & looks like some interesting things to see, so a good time to visit! The parking info is much appreciated thank you. Now looking forward to our vist!

Reply to: Chester long weekend.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations