We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet

north east england
Level Contributor
502 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet

Coming to Chester on a Sunday till Tuesday and I knew when I booked that a lot of the "best" restaurants are closed these evenings now my friends say it will be to quiet and the pubs also close early is this so?. We are interested in museums just wondered if there are any good ones and any other ideas apart from the zoo and the walls.

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,517 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet

I don't know about restaurants, but pubs will close at the normal time that they do on Sunday's like everywhere else in the country - some at 10.30pm, others at 11pm, and places like The Cornerhouse will stay open until midnight, or in the case of The Cellar, 12.30am.

north east england
Level Contributor
502 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet

Thank you ManSOLO

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet

There is the Grosvenor Museum, which has large collection of Roman tombstones on display, as well as lots of other Roman artefacts, plus a townhouse at the back, with rooms set out as they would have been through different periods in history. There's also an art section and various other displays too. Entry is free, but donations gratefully accepted.

…westcheshiremuseums.co.uk/collections/

There is also the Chester Military Museum: https://www.cheshiremilitarymuseum.co.uk/

There's also supposed to be some kind of museum about the history of the Walls opening in the Water Tower soon, but I've found no info about it, except for a news article from a few months ago stating that it's happening.

north east england
Level Contributor
502 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet

Thanks for that Bungle, we fancy both of those..do you know if you have to pay to get into the cathedral or is it donations?

Chester
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet

Cathedral is free but the set up looks like you have to pay but you don't. Just walk past the tills, I am not sure why they are still there. You use to pay many years ago.

England
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet

Admission to the cathedral is "free" but donations are greatly appreciated. An amount of £3 is suggested, but anything is better than nothing.

north west, england
Level Contributor
177 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet

Whilst many pubs close at the earlier time of 10.30pm on a sunday and it is generally a quieter night there are plenty of decent places that have later openings. In addition to those that have been mentioned: Telfords opens until 12.30am; bar lounge 12am; Duttons 12am; Artichoke 12am; Alexander’s 12am; fiesta Havana 1am. Which particular restaurants were you looking for? There are lots of restaurants in Chester and I only know of a couple closed on the days that you will be here and that will only be for one night.

north east england
Level Contributor
502 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet

Great help Thanks skieswithstabilizers I was looking for Thai or Chinese and it appears the two I have wittled it down to are both open Sunday nigh they are Siam Thai and Shanghai looking at them seems they are both walkable from Ye Old Kings Head where we are staying I think lol

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet

Shanghai is a bit far to walk, and over a very busy bridge, you'd be better with a bus or taxi.

north east england
Level Contributor
502 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet

Thanks Penny.

Reply to: Quiet
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chester