We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from near Chester...?

South Florida
Level Contributor
364 posts
12 reviews
Day trips from near Chester...?

we will be staying outside Chester for 4 days & would like to do some day trips w/ our rental car.

Is going over to Wales a good possibility? If so, what suggestions would there be for a not too long drive for a nice day?

Am hoping to go to Chatsworth House, + spend a nice day inside Chester itself as well...

Thank you,

36 replies to this topic
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
29 reviews
31. Re: Day trips from near Chester...?

Sorry, but IMHO Chester Zoo is seriously overrated, and heavily overpriced.

No McArthur Glen designer outlet can be of interest to an American. There are great many beautiful things in UK, but shopping in US is a league above experience.

Yuri.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
164 reviews
32. Re: Day trips from near Chester...?

Entitled to your opinion Yuri,I don't say that Chester Zoo is the best in the world but it is the only one in the area where the poster is visiting & IMO still a heck of a place which I visit regularly.

Also Cheshire Oaks does get quite a lot of American visitors,it was origionally billed as an American style shopping mall & while I have been in a number similar to it in the USA there are many different ones.

As I say we all have our opinions,the poster asked for ideas in the Chester area &,like others, I have given some examples,up to the poster to pick out what they do & don't want!

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
29 reviews
33. Re: Day trips from near Chester...?

Assuming the main question is: Where to visit on your way from Broadway to Chester?

Wales, Shropshire, etc - all are not too far, but would require very much time consuming detour. I'd list places attractions, we'd go to. Please google them, see if you fancy any.

About half hour North from Broadway: Croome ( NT ) - Capability Brown in it's best. Make sure you know, when the Walled Garden is open to public?

North West from there, a lovely little town of Ledbury - charming, and quintessentially English! Very near to it: Eastnor Castle - stylised as a castle stately home. Most impressive, with gorgeous grounds to it.

In about 5-10 driving time from the EC - British Camp. It's a summit of one of the Malverns. You can see 7 ( or was it 9? ) counties from it. Requires stiff 40 minutes long walk.

On the Herefordshire - Worcestershire border, there's Brockhampton Estate ( NT ) - huge fantastic grounds, and Tudorian black&white building. Reminds of adorable Ightam Mote ( a wee gem in Kent ), only much bigger. Nearby town of Bromyard is very nice too.

You won't be able to visit all recommended in a day! Google these, tell your opinion.

Remind you: I'm not an expert, just another tourist with some experience.

Hope this helped,

Yuri.

England
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
1 review
34. Re: Day trips from near Chester...?

Chester Zoo has on average 2 millions visitors per year, Cheshire Oaks averages 7 million visitors per year.

IMHO they are more than justifiably mentioned, after all we are not sure of the OP interests , hopefully the more we recommend and / or suggest is good, they can then cherry pick to suit themselves. Also agree with inclusion of Boat Museum and Blue Planet.

Edited: 28 May 2018, 20:31
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
35. Re: Day trips from near Chester...?

North Wales is an easy day trip from Chester, there's a train to Conwy and Betws-y-coed. Or you could do the drive in a little over an hour each way. I recommend: Snowdonia National Park, Conwy and also Llandudno.

I've written about some of the places in North Wales from my time spent living there. it's a beautiful part of the world:

https:/…

Enjoy!

South Florida
Level Contributor
364 posts
12 reviews
36. Re: Day trips from near Chester...?

Thanks - back home now & took the train to Conwy.. all lovely

Reply to: Day trips from near Chester...?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations