We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

I am looking at booking an apartment in London through this site. However am nervouse about being scammed. Is it safe to use these sites. The particular apartment i am interested in is owned by the Soho apartments http://knightlyapartments.com/ . Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

I can understand your worry, there was a programme on UK TV only yesterday about appartment scams.

I have used Holiday rentals a cople of times when I have booked for Spain and Majorca, so they do exist.

kind regards

Uk
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

Not sure if you have already booked, but I found a villa on this website, and got scammed as the email address of the owner had been hacked into! We have lost not only our holiday but all of our money that we paid....personally, I wouldn't use this website as from as far as I can see it doesn't seem to be that secure, I would go through an agency (this website is not an agency just an advertising portal) as if you have any problems they say they cannot help you as they are just an advertising website and do not take any responsibility. Hope this helps.

Winnipeg
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

Holiday-Rentals is not a reputable company. They may exist but their email is hacked and they don't back up their clients. We also lost our apt and our money for a place in Tel Aviv. Also, at the time of our communications, we were dealing with an agent who no longer worked for the company but whose name and picture was still on the website. We have contacted National Anti-Fraud in our country and plan to pursue this. Never use Western Union as a means of payment. Owners of rentals around the world should be boycotting agencies like VRBO and Home Away, because they take no responsibility. Their warnings on phishing are in the finest of print.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

VRBO and Homeaway are the same company and not connected to Holiday-rentals. To say the former is full of scammers is wrong and misleading. Scammers like to advertise on free sites. I know for a fact that VRBO takes security seriously to ensure advertisers are genuine.

I've heard of one advertiser who had their email hacked and hijacked by a scammer on VRBO and that was because they'd opened an email that had a download in it that sent all their info to the scammer. That's the fault of the advertiser, not VRBO and is very rare. To suggest a boycott is just daft.

Now if people want to boycott Craigslist, I'm all for that. It's a scammers paradise!

Winnipeg
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

I do agree with your comments. I have had several successful holidays booked through VBRO, however, not all of their advertisers are "safe", even if it's not their fault. I believe that all agencies should be more up front about the possibility of scam....it's a fact of life. For your information, Homeaway has removed holidays-rentals.co.ils from its website. I say owners and vacationers, beware.

London, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

homeaway hundred percent safe.

you have to contact the owner of the property.

if you make a payment for the reserves to the owner do not do it to anyone else, if you have questions, contact by phone to make sure that it ist the owner easy, paying with paypal or bank transfer,

paypal or bank transfer are safe or not.

then pay the rest upon delivery of keys.

if you do so you can not be scammered.

who get scammered is because he wants to, I do not give money to anyone

7. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2013, 15:55
Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

I'm a bit confused. If the owner didn't reply, then how did you sign a contract?

9. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 17:18
10. Re: HomeAway.co.uk and www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 17:18