We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,255 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

Hi folks,

Driving from Holyhead to Folkestone, next Wednesday (arriving in Holyhead at 10.45am approx).

AA Roadwatch suggest that there is much of a muchness between using the M1 and Dartford Crossing versus using the M40 and M25 West, M25 South.

Does anyone have any experience of these routes and which do you think is better?

We've done the Holyhead to Dover route before and the M1 is better but haven't done Folkestone before.

Thanks in advance.

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

Hi there

There isn't a great deal to chose between them. I keep the travel report channel turned on in the car and listen out for possible complications / traffic jams as I get close to London and make a decision based on the reports. I tend to use the M25 West as I am more used to that route and have generally been fortunate with the traffic.

If you are using the A55 across North Wales from Holyhead look out for the multitude of speed cameras that have been there in the last week!

Where are you going to in France this time?

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,255 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

Sybil,

Thank you. I'll get hubby to work out the radio stations (I have huge issues with them) and I'll check the routes before we leave Ireland.

We're heading to the Loire for 5 nights, down near Biarritz for 7 nights, over to Sarlat for 4 nights and up to Compiegne for 3 nights.

Then back through the UK, one night in Oxford - going to visit Blenheim Palace as a result of recommendations here, then another night in Manchester visting family.

Then sadly home!!

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

That sounds like a great itinerary!

We're off to the Loire in just over a week for a fortnight (probably just as you are leaving), and went to Biarritz 2 years ago - are you staying at campsites?

Hope the weather improves!! I take it if you are going to Folkestone that you are on Eurotunnel so at least no problems with the choppy sea

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

The traffic reports this past week indicate that the clockwise route has been suffering more jams. You have the extra cost of the Dartford Crossing as well.

I don't think you can rely on the radio though because of the need to make a decision before you reach Birmingham.

Have fun and if the traffic grinds to a halt around Watford then let me know and I'll be out with hot beverages and Kendal Mint Cake!

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,255 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

Sybil,

We're going mobile homing... What part of the Loire are you going to (we absolutely LOVE it there!!). We'll be just South of Tours near Chinon.

And we'll already have a ferry crossing on the Wednesday!! We're taking the train for the first time, because we're aware there is a general strike in France on the 24th and we're afraid the port workers will go out as well.

But we crossed "La Manche" in a F8 a couple of years ago and it was fine.

Twas the crossing last year between Holyhead and Dublin that was the worst ever. I did a fear of flying course last year and they said "You don't hear people speak about water pockets so why should there be air pockets?". Well, they found the water pockets that day!! Up 20 feet, down 20 feet, looking out the window of the boat seeing only sea water...

Adam,

Thank you for the kind offer!! You are, as usual, a sweetie. I'd almost wish for heavy traffic around Watford, just to have a cuppa with you ;o))

We've done the crossing many times and both directions. And to be honest, the toll on the QEII Bridge is pretty bland compared to the French tolls.

We're going to take the M6 toll anyhow. We like the road and have fond memories of staying in the Belfry when it was being built. The colour of the earth underneath is an incredible, almost Mediterranean colour. Coming from an area where mud is muck coloured, this was exotic!!

I'll check on-line the morning before the ferry and see how it goes.

Thank you both so much for your help.

Very much appreciated.

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

This is our third trip to the Loire - this time we're going West near Saumur. Which site are you going to near Biarritz? We have been to Labenne Ocean twice as the children loved it so much. I really enjoyed the area and trips into the Pyrenees. We did the Plymouth Santander crossing last time - it could rival the holyhead crossing. The staff called it 20 hours at Alton Towers!

Crossed the chanel last month on the shuttle which is my favourite crossing. Another of our annual trips to St Valery.

Have a great time

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

Although those roads can get clogged up so leave plenty of time I would say. I remember having a rough crossing going from Dover to Calais, that was pretty bad, up/down, rock and roll, not fun, so at least going underground you don't have that!

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,255 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

Sybil, we're staying in St Catherine de Fierbois in the Loire, Le Vieux Port in Messanges. We haven't been to either so we're looking forward to that.

Say Hi to St. V for me. We won't be there this year. But we'll stop in the Aire de la Baie de la Somme on our way down from Calais to Tours.

Tarry, thanks. We've got the whole day on Wednesday to get from Holyhead to Folkestone. Our train isn't until the following morning.

Hopefully the seas will be fairly calm this time. Sybil, I can't imagine 20 hours of non stop rock and roll. I think I'd lose the will to live....

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

We enjoyed St Catherine - lots to do for the children so we had a good break too!. It is a little far from any towns but plenty to do on site.

Yes the Aire is a must - I always climb the tower and look out towards St V and Le Crotoy

Have a good time!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Holyhead - Folkestone, best route please

yes, 20 hours on a rough sea sounds like my ideal of a nightmare! Bad enough for one hour and a bit.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 22:11