We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day Dinner?

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Islesboro, Maine
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas Day Dinner?

Greetings!

We tend to do Christmas dinner at home, however with several people visiting us for the holidays I have been researching restaurants for Christmas Day dinner. Interestingly, I have only found a few places on the lower cape that will be open. So far, we can do the Chatham Bars Inn* buffet at $88 a head (!!!!) or the CBI Tavern, Hearth & Kettle in Orleans, the tavern side of The Squire, and that's it. Even The new Wild Goose at Wayside (where I have not been yet) will be closed. Any suggestions? I have never been faced with this, but remain curious as to where the tourists are expected to go...

* footnote - last week, CBI only had 12 rooms booked for the weekend - we were attending the Chatham Elementary School Concert and the place was totally dead - I guess they make up for lost winter revenue with the over-priced buffet??

Thanks in advance.

from the washashore

west coast
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day Dinner?

I would go with one of the restaurants at CBI. We have eaten there and the food is ok but, it has the ambience and the view. Sit and have a drink in the lobby bar.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day Dinner?

I agree with westielover--

I would have drinks in the CBI's living room with the gingerbread houses. And then dinner in the Tavern Room. It's got that cozy New England Inn feel.

Can't believe no other spots are open. Not even the Wequassett? It's nice for the workers but not for the tourists as you say.

Merry Christmas!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
21,492 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day Dinner?

I can't say I'm really surprised. The Cape isn't really a tourist destination in December.

There's very little open on Christmas Eve and Christmas in Boston and the nothern 'burbs where I travel. In this area on a 'normal' Saturday night in December you can be hard pressed to grab a bite without a reservation or a wait.

Most places that are opened are the hotel dining rooms who need to accomodate their guests, but the stand-alone retaurants close.

In fact, I'm surprised that people I know in other parts of the US, go out to dinner on Christmas Eve.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
21,492 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day Dinner?

PS ... forgot to say that I hope all works out for you. Merry Christmas!!

Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day Dinner?

I came in from Colorado to spend Christmas with my late wife's brother. I'm staying at the Wayside. We had lunch in The Tavern at the CBI, and ate from the regular menu.

Hearth and Kettle in Orleans was shut tight at 4 PM.

I spoke with the Squire and they weren't serving dinner at all. Gonna be an interesting night. Wonder where this info really came from. Regardless, hope your Christmas was an enjoyable one.

Islesboro, Maine
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day Dinner?

Thanks so much for your responses and Merry Christmas everyone!

Oops. Wires crossed at the Squire - they were only open Christmas Eve on the tavern side. We ended up making turkey dinner at home today - all went well! Had cider at CBI by the tree (free) - the view was grand as always. Dinner last night at the Wayside's Wild Goose was great - worth a try for anyone for sure. It was tough seeing all the folks trying to get a table who were in town - as the place was only open until 8 PM. A woman who stopped in (and was seated thank goodness) said CBI was turning folks away Christams Eve. Interesting that there is such a void considering our locale...

Thanks again and best for 2008!

7. Re: Christmas Day Dinner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 06:35