We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week Trip Itinerary

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Week Trip Itinerary

My husband and I are planning a road trip to the East Coast in Sept/Oct. I know this is prime season out there, but we want to see the fall colors. I checked the leaf alerts and all that and know it's just kinda up to Mother Nature.

Anyways, was wondering how far we need to go to see the beauty of fall from Lancaster Co? Is there enough in Lancaster Co to even do more than a day? I know there is Amish and barns and that, but we live on the IL/WI border and have Amish and barns here (although I do want to see more of it there). Do we have to drive clear to Maine to experience it? Or is Vermont just as beautiful? Or what is there all to do in this area? We're not big on shopping at kitchy shops or museums and that. Thanks everyone!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

The leaf peepers run all along the East Coast, you certainly don't need to drive to all the way to Maine to experience the beauty. There's plenty to see in PA, Lancaster County, Hershey, Gettysburg, Philadelphia, Poconos are just a few of the places. I'd get a Vacation Guide http://www.visitpa.com/ and see what you'd enjoy doing in the area, then maybe head to the wine country of New York and the Finger Lakes, maybe then on to Niagara Falls. Depends on how long you will be on the East Coast. There's lots to do within an easy drive of Central PA.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

Thank you!! That's a huge help :)

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
188 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

You might be interested in attending a Mud Sale in Lancaster County. www.padutchcounty.com search Mud Sales. If you don't want to shop or see Amish, a day in Lancaster would give you enough time to see it. There is also Gettysburg (in October they have the Apple Fest). If you like nature and wild animals, I recommend Elk County PA. On VisitPA.com select Pennsylvania Wilds also go to www.elkcountryvisitorcenter.com. Other areas in the north central part of PA have beautiful views and lots of deer. Potter County PA is considered God's Country because of the beautiful landscape. I agree that New York wine country and the Finger Lakes are worth visiting. All of New England is beautiful especially in the fall. If you google visit (anystate) you are sure to get lots of ideas. Any state in New England will have beautiful fall foliage.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

Two things to keep in mind.

First Lancaster County is not really the best place to see leaves because most of the county (and particularly the tourist area) is farmland, not woodland. The better fall leaf areas would be Northern or Western Pa,.

Second mudsales are mostly in the Spring, Although some fire companies have fall mudsales they are not as well attended, and tend to be especially less well attended by Amish, who are in the middle of harvest season.

Just don't want you coming to the County for thewrong reason.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

Well...that's really disappointing. I guess we need to look at a different location for vacation :(

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

Well, if your focus is the fall leaves, then yes you should concentrate on a primarily wooded area. As stated by others, the Poconos, or even upstate New York would be a good fit.

Lancaster County is a beautiful area,but it is probably the least wooded area of any of Pennsylvanias non-urban countys.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

Travel one county further north into Lebanon County. The Mt. Gretna area is in the middle of the south mountain range of the Appalachians. You will still be within easy driving distance of Amish country in Lancaster, and parts of Lebanon County have Amish. Routes 322 and 117 drive through this area. THere are numerous hiking trails and there is a hike called Governor Dick that goes up to a tower on top of the mountain that you could climb to overlook the Lebanon valley. http://www.governordick.com/

Check the tower link.

About 1/2 to an hour north of Lebanon (Depending on where you go) is the Blue Mountain Range. It roughly parallels I81 and I78 north east from Harrisburg, PA. Go to Google maps and switch to satellite view to see the range. You will be able to find routes that will take you on drives through the mountain range.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

Besides the fabulous weather, vistors at that time of year enjoy seeing the farmers harvesting their golden crops. But it sounds like you can see that at home.

Lancaster county has trees, but not as many as the northern counties. It's going to depend more on your timing how far north you will have to go to see peak color.

Mother nature does like to mix it up a little, so you will need to check foliage maps during your trip, but generally, Maine peaks early to mid October while NE PA is typically late October/early November.

Here's a site you can use to check the timing over the past few autumns:

www.foliagenetwork.com

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

We would probably just stay in Lancaster Co for a couple of days and then head somewhere else to see the fall trees. I'm just so overwhelmed to know where to start and if it's even worth going to Lan Co at all during this time of year or if we should just soley focus on Vermont/Maine, etc

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Week Trip Itinerary

Splitrock Resort in the Poconos, or Shawnee.

Get answers to your questions about Lancaster County