We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted

Not exactly a question. More like a big surprise. I arrived in PDC over a week ago and I was happily using my credit cards to buy almost everything INCLUDING ADO BUS TICKETS for trips around the Yucatan. Yesterday at the main ADO bus station I was told I have to use cash. I had some and I did - figured their portal is broken. Today, as I am leaving for the airport from the ADO Playa Del Carmen Alterno - I was told same thing. They said they no longer accept credit cards! I was happily paying with my master card at both ticket stations only 3 days ago.. what happened since?! So confused and upset as I am likely to be late for my flight because of this new rule.

7 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted

Welcome to Mexico. Where cash is still King. I hope you made your trip home on time.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,826 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted

Not certain why the problem. As far as I know, no change in the acceptance of credit cards. I asked today and they still accept Visa and MasterCard.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted

Never seen an ADO ticket booth that didn't accept credit cards. Maybe they wanted you to pay in cash so they could short change you as it's well known to them that gringos rarely count the change they are given.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,826 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted

Good points Eric. Or maybe they just didn't want to go to the trouble I'm taking a credit card. I rarely ever see a local pay by credit card so it may just be a step they prefer not to take. I know such is the case with the very cheap travel insurance available when you buy your tickets. It is a very low fee, which I don't recall exactly, but something like 10 pesos. Normally they don't even offer it to you but since they know I normally ask for it when I buy my tickets they go ahead and add it. But it does cause them a little more work.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,863 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted

If cash vs. cc was going to make the OP miss their flight, imho they were cutting it way too close anyway. And although I am not there currently (like RobertSDF), I've never had ADO deny or turn down my cc when trying to buy tickets in-person. Just my thoughts..........

¡Diviértanse!

BC
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted

ADO at Cancun airport doesn't take credit cards, but I was prepared for that as it had been discussed on these forums.

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
907 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted

This seems to happen alot with Buses not taking Credit cards. At Valladolid when I offered my card the guy said he didn't have the terminal yet, even though the day before I had bought tickets with a CC. So I paid, then anyways he starts talking to me and asking where we are from etc. After a minute or so I tried to remember if he gave me the change or not. I think he pocketed the 60 pesos or so and and since I had change in my pockets I couldn't remember. Anyways it seemed the whole no terminal story was just a tatic he used to shortchange customers.

Reply to: ADO Playa Del Carmen - no credit cards accepted
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted