We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caramel Spread

Hartford...
Level Contributor
519 posts
56 reviews
Caramel Spread

My father in law (born in Quebec) told me he grew up on a Caramel spread on toast in the mornings. I've seen lots of Maple Butter spread...but not caramel. Is there such a thing or could he be mistaken?

Montreal
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Caramel Spread

he probably mean either Map-O-Spread or Caramel Grenache ... They have both been on the shelves for years. Here is a link for each to give you a visual:

https://www.iga.net/fr/search…

https://www.iga.net/fr/search…

Check ANY grocery store in the jam aisle.

Edited: 25 February 2017, 15:29
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Caramel Spread

Agree, near the jam and peanut butter.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Caramel Spread

Grenache Caramel is a staple, like Nutella in France or peanut butter in the USA.

Montreal
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: Caramel Spread

Just a warning... In my experience, these things taste better in our memory than in real life.

Edited: 25 February 2017, 17:25
Hartford...
Level Contributor
519 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Caramel Spread

Thank you all for your replies (and the memory warning...lol). Heading off to find a grocery store in this cold blowing winds!

Peachtree Corners...
Level Contributor
373 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Caramel Spread

I really like Duhaime caramel. It's from Québec (province) and I bring it back with me after the carnival so I can have it on just about anything.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Caramel Spread

Caramel Grenache might have been a staple some years ago but certainly not lately. Actually we have one container (they don't come in jars but in plastic containers) in the pantry right more. My mom used to like it on her toast in the morning but not anymore so I could probably get rid of it at the next pantry clean up.

I think that these caramels, like Miracle Whip, margarine, Bovril, Pouring Chômeur, Queen Elizabeth Cake, Pâté Chinois and such are probably some kind of leftover from both WW and the Great Depression. Time when a large segment of the population had moved to cities. So less time to cook, less access to maple syrup and the ration coupons during the wars.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: Caramel Spread

and vegemite. And I also forgot Marmite!!!!

Of course it's horrible, as are Nutella and Skippy and Tang and Kraft Dinner and Cheeze Whiz and Girl Guide cookies. But they still give you that warm fuzzy feeling (for about ten seconds)

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Caramel Spread

I had Grenache on toasted English crumpets this morning. Who says 'les deux solitudes' can't co-exist?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,152 posts
141 reviews
10. Re: Caramel Spread

WoW it brings back memories.

I also was brought up on the SUGAR fix of both Maple and Caramel Spreads. But the memory is of an uncle and family that moved to Detroit and we would visit every year at Easter. BRING LOTS OF MAPLE AND CARAMEL SPREAD plus COFFEE CRISP chocolate bars was the only request he had. He had to hide them from the family in order to make it last.