We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in September?

DCN
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
101 posts
79 reviews
Mosquitoes in September?

I am super-allergic to mosquitoes (& as I also sleep badly anyway) need as much calm info as possible. We'll be arriving at the v end of August & spend about a week in the E & up to 3 weeks in the Rockies & Vancouver Victoria area.

Will they be about in all 3 areas? Is there a local remedy that Canadians would recommend? (I shall bring deet spray) Should I expect or be asking for air con etc etc.

Thanks.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
1. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

You are posting in the wrong forum. As to a remedy, bring your wife. The Mosquitos will feast on her, and you can enjoy a beer (or wine if you are Italian) on the pario in (relative peace assuming your wife doesn't complain too much). If you are the wife, then you have a problem. The good news is that Vancouver island is not too bad but inland BC or Alberta u will be eaten alive if you don't cover up. There are of course bigger problems like bears roaming. Every year people get injured or even killed by bears. Personally, I prefer shopping.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

Hi DCN,

Lol...

This is the funniest post I've read in a long time...

Let me just say that PLATIPUS is a guy who LOVES to stir the pot / exagerate whenever he can... you DCN by posting in the wrong spot, have given him such a wonderful opportunity (and I thank you for that in this instance)

You will find the other DESTINATION FORUMS here...

TA - VANCOUVER FORUM = tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154943-i81-Vancouv…

TA - VICTORIA FORUM = tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154945-i207-Victor…

TA - CANADIAN ROCKIES FORUM = tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Cana…

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with your vacation plans

Again, thanks for dropping by... you ended up making my day.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 28 March 2012, 21:33
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
3. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

Proper netiquette is to assume the OP is not an idiot.

I believe his statement "spend about a week in the E" refers to *E*astern Canada -- i.e. he's spending a week in or around Montreal before flying on to BC and Alberta.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
22,196 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

As one of the posters from the Rockies who views the Canada-wide forum, I'll save you re-posting (unless you want to). Mosquito season is done by September, in fact by about mid-August. There may be occasional ones around, but especially in the Rockies, the cold nights kill them off.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
26,052 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

The OP is indeed spending time in Quebec and the west coast, so the question was appropriate.

And to answer it, September is usually mosquito free in the eastern part of the country, unless we have had a very humid summer, in which case there are sometimes a few around. But not so much in the city.

So bring your bug spray, or buy some here and you'll be fine. I repeat - it's unsusual to find them out in the fall.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 22:18
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

Hi Guys,

To be honest...

I missed the *E*... otherwise I would have given them info similar to PHPR's

And when the poster said...

<< Will they be about in all 3 areas? Is there a local remedy that Canadians would recommend? (I shall bring deet spray) Should I expect or be asking for air con etc etc.>>

It was easy to assume that he meant the 3 that he listed (Vancouver, Victoria and the Canadian Rockies)... which is why I provided the correct links.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 28 March 2012, 22:31
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

Assume nothing. If the OP is still interested in this question, he can certainly repost clarifications.

Generally speaking, Montreal city has little to no mosquitoes. Woodlands or parks might.

@Platipus: LOL thanks for the late day chuckles. Always a good break from tedious work meetings...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,613 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

You won't find mosquitoes in Vancouver or Victoria. Some wasps here and there, especially outside the cities.

DCN
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
101 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!!

Who is OP - eye test anyone?

Platipus Mon Vieux Pot - you think the bears are a problem: steer clear of my route in September or you'll have a sore head!!

DCN :D

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
10. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

Dcn: we are not French, so mon vieux pot doesnt do much in Quebec. No one who is not an artist will understand you. You answered 3 months after : you are either retired or work for the government. If you want to see animals, Montreal has plenty of s£££p bars, but you will not see me there.