We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean train from Montreal to Halifax

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
67 posts
56 reviews
Ocean train from Montreal to Halifax

Has anyone travelled on this train recently? Is the 'Sleeper Plus' class worth the extra dollars over the regular 'Sleeper' class?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Ocean train from Montreal to Halifax

We did it a few years ago. Beawre of a couple of things. First, there is very limited scenery. Early morning when you finally reach near the mouth of the St. Lawrence there are some nice views, as well as later on near the Bay of Fundy, but that is it. Otherwise, the food was very good for a train ride, and we enjoyed the wine tasting.

If the Slepper Plus means more cabin room then I don't see much difference. We got a regular sleeper, with the lower seats turning into a bed, plus a pull down bed overhead. They were a little hard and uncomfortable but manageable nontheless. There was also a bathroom which converted into a shower. I think the "Plus" means you get a second room but I'm not sure. For 2 people the extra room didn't matter.

Hope this helps.

JDP

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
125 reviews
2. Re: Ocean train from Montreal to Halifax

I travelled on the Ocean between Montreal and Moncton NB in both directions in May 2012. The sleepers are identical except that about 50% have a very rudimentary shower which had a weakish flow and soaked everything else in the toilet. The Sleeper Plus is the same sleeper but with meals included - I think it is advisable to avoid this and buy what meals you want during the journey. The dinner was good but with a limited selection but I did not bother with breakfast. The sleepers are expensive for sole travellers (although you do get sole usage) but for two they are more affordable.

It is worth mentioning that the sleepers are the so-called Renaissance stock. This was built in the UK for overnight services to anf from through the Channel Tunnel. These services never materialised and the coaches were put into storage before being bought by Via Rail a few years ago. The coaches are built to the rather limited UK loading gauge and are narrower than other Via Rail coaches. So when the hardish seats are converted into beds, these are quite narrow (about 30 inches) and not that comfortable. But, I can sleep on anything so I found them ok - if you want plushness and deep comfort you will not find it on these sleepers.

3. Re: Ocean train from Montreal to Halifax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:07