We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touristy hotel -in the heart of everything- Old Montreal?

San Diego
Level Contributor
69 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Touristy hotel -in the heart of everything- Old Montreal?

I treating myself to a week trip from San Diego to Montreal in Sept or October.

I will be traveling alone - as I did to Quebec City last year-- and loved it..

Need suggestions for nice, smallish hotel in the best walking location..

perhaps Old Montreal. Looking for ambiance, cafes, boutiques, not too hilly,

Location is most important. I am (reaching) that senior age when observing is my choice rather than participating.

Anyone know of Hotel Katuma... looks nice--- on line

I plan to spend 6 nights in one location to really get the feel of the neighborhood.

All helpful suggestions welcome

Nancy

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Touristy hotel -in the heart of everything- Old Montreal?

Hmm... Hotel Katuma may be nice inside, and it's right beside the lovely Carré Saint-Louis neighbourhood which is very chic and pretty and fantastic for after-dinner strolls, close to the Latin Quarter for sidewalk cafés and pubs and buzz, and to the north you find the Plateau neighbourhood with the chic Saint-Denis boutiques and small neighbourhood chef-run restaurants and so on. But Katuma is right on a Saint-Denis and above a restaurant so the front isn't as charming as you'd think, and a room in the back would be much quieter than one facing Saint-Denis.

I'd say another advantage of Katuma is that it's in a "real" neighbourhood... while Old Montréal is very beautiful and great for wandering about and has cafés and ambiance and indeed lots of residents, there are many more tourists than residents in the summer and that changes the feel of the place. (I know, you'll be a tourist, too, but you know what I mean :) It wins for history and beauty and quainteness, though. You might want to look at something like Le Petit Hôtel or Les Passants de Sans Soucy or L'Hôtel.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touristy hotel -in the heart of everything- Old Montreal?

Once, on a week long business trip to Chicago I decided to rent a room with adjoining living room in a small old hotel in town instead of one of the big corporate hotels near the airport and I just loved it. I think that it will be similar for you at the Katuma if you get a room with a living room section and located in the back for reasons explained by Tristou. Yes one get tired after a few days of looking at the TV from the bed!

If you are looking for only a room then you could also check Hôtel de l'Institut which is in the same area but even closer to the métro (subway) as it is located directly on top of the Sherbrooke station. It is in an ugly modern building but the rooms are nice and recently renovated and, heck, you are looking at the nice Saint-Louis Square not at the building itself! It is the application hotel of our hospitality school (acronym ITHQ) and, as such, has very good service and also offers free table serviced breakfast in the restaurant which also serves delicious lunch and dinner at affordable prices. Also there is another dining room in the building that is open only when they have the students staff to manage it and that is a real bargain mostly known by students and teachers and their families.

As per coming in Mtl in the Fall I will suggest that you look at something in either September or the first half of October as after that temperature can become really iffy. Also note that the change of fall leaves colors happen later in Mtl than in Qc and you will be able to see the red hues only in October but if you go outside of the city yo will find them a little earlier, like in late September around Mont-Tremblant or Ottawa.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 20:18
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touristy hotel -in the heart of everything- Old Montreal?

Oh I forgot the link: http://www.ithq.qc.ca/en/hotel/index.php

San Diego
Level Contributor
69 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touristy hotel -in the heart of everything- Old Montreal?

Thanks so much for the replies rickb and Trtistou re: my upcoming week in Montreal in Sept or October. The planning stage is also part of the fun.

I will get back on-line and check out your suggestions. Keep them coming.

5. Re: Touristy hotel -in the heart of everything- Old Montreal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:17