We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Montreal Walking Tour?

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
133 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Old Montreal Walking Tour?

Hi! We're going to be in Montreal in less then 2 weeks and I'm trying to plan out our trip. We have 3 full days in Montreal (+ a few hours on our arrival and departure days). One of the things we would like to do is spend a day walking around & exploring Old Montreal. I'm good to just wander around but with my 9 year old it would be great to have a plan. When we went to Paris we followed walking tours from a guidebook but can't seem to find anything similar for Montreal. Any tips? We're staying at Place d'Armes so we would like to start there...THANKS!

26 replies to this topic
Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
133 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

I should also add that we're not looking to take a tour - we want to move along at our own pace. Just trying to find a good guide/route sort of thing. THANKS!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

There is a free follow along tour organized by the city of Montreal. It is called Cité Mémoire. I hear it is ok. Keep in mind it is free. You have to download the app, Montreal en histoire. connect to the mtl city WiFi and listen with your headphones.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

There are 3 main streets in Old Montreal which are all parallel to each other:

- Notre-Dame: many souvenir shops and restaurants, as well as Notre-Dame Basilica, City Hall, Court house, Château Ramezay (museum), Noel Eternel which a Christmas shop

- St. Paul: many souvenir shops, restaurants and art galleries

- De La Commune: restaurants and the Old Port which offers many activities for kids (zip lining, pedal boat, labyrinth, science center with an exhibition of Pixar), Marché Bonsecours (also accessible via St. Paul) and Pointe-a-Callieres (archeology museum)

If you tell us what type of activities you are looking for, I am sure we can make a route for you

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

@jcmtl1965

I'm sure the OP can figure out where to walk in old Montreal. It is not that big. A walking tour suggests they want to learn about the history of it and the buildings along the way.

You should consider a visit to the Pointe a Callière museum (history and archeology). We recommend it as a stop for just about anyone visiting Montreal. Good for kids and adults. Built over the ruins of the first settlements. Then you can wander the area on your own.

Edited: 21 July 2018, 18:32
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

I am sure that the OP can figure out a route to walk, however, as her question is to get a route to walk in Old Montreal since her daughter like to have a plan, and since I actually do walk in Old Montreal almost every week for business and pleasure, I would be happy to help maranara map a route to walk based on her likes and dislikes.

maranara: let me know if you need help planning a route that will fit your needs

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
133 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

Thank you! In my head I'm thinking about the walking tours that we did in Paris from the Rick Steeves guidebook. Sort of a "start at Notre Dame (do the tour)...then walk down street A (and look at X, Y, & Z). Maybe some history along the way so we know what we're looking at. ;)

As far as things we want to be sure to see...the only thing that's high on my list is Notre Dame. My daughter likes science and museums...we're lucky because she actually enjoys wandering through an art museum...and is also interested in history. She's just starting to be at that glorious age where she enjoys poking around neat little shops. And she loves to eat, so interesting places to stop for food would be great too - especially with Canadian specialities. We're from the US - outside of Washington DC - so it's all new to us!

THANKS!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

For museums. The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts is a good stop. She would probably get in free. But check the website. It depends on your age and which exhibit. Generally it's cheap so you can walk around till you get tired of it. The local pernanent exhibit is very good. And they rotate what they have in their collection. The international exhibits are hit or miss.

The Pointe a Callière museum as mentioned before in a good stop.

And the science museum is great for kids. It is fully interactive. And kids are encouraged to touch all of the interactive "exhibits". It is in the old port. Again its the permanent exhibit that is very well done. The others are not interactive and generally less interesting.

For other museums you have the contemporary art museum and the McCord museum. They are ok. Not worth it unless you have seen all the MMFA has to offer. Maybe when you decide to return to Montreal in a few years ;)

Edited: 21 July 2018, 21:29
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

Hmm food.

For some unique food here is a few stops.

You can try Montreal bagels (not at all like New York bagels) at either Fairmount or St Viateur.

You can make a stop at Schwartz smoked meat. Also in the same neighborhood and both are usually included in a food tour of that area. Neither are true sit down restaurants. You eat outside, or wait in line for a seat at Schwartz.

You can make a stop for beaver tails in the old port. (This is more of a Canadian thing than specifically montreal). I would stop for one instead of an ice cream.

And you need to try poutine somewhere. Fast food places will serve it but it isn't always the best. There is a restaurant on saint Laurent street (a block from fairmount bagels and a few more from schwartz) that has won best poutine in Montreal multiple times. It is Burger De Ville. Nothing fancy and popular with the ubisoft employees. So lunch time means it fills up. La Banquise is a restaurant that only serves poutine. But you really don't need all the choices. A real poutine is simple. French fries, gravy and cheese curds. Nothing else. Nothing different. I am shocked by what has started passing for poutine in the states. But you can find it just about anywhere.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

email1010's suggestions are all amazing. I would add Chateau Ramesay in Old Montreal (https://www.chateauramezay.qc.ca/) which is also an historical museum.

Since you will be in Old Montreal, I would like to suggest Montreal Poutine on St. Paul Street which is very good and offers different kinds of poutines.

In Old Montreal, also on St. Paul, you can try Chez Crepe Suzette which, suggested many times by email1010, is a nice place for lunch.

For your daughter, there is many many activities in the Old Port, I believe the Science Center that offers the Pixar exhibit right now is really good, but there is also the pedal boats, the labyrinth, the zip lining and others. I went to the Old Port went my son was your daughter's age and spend the entire day doing activities with him.

Enjoy, Montreal is a beautiful city and we are happy to help you with any questions you may have

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Montreal Walking Tour?

Yes that is a good suggestion. I think the name is simply "Chez Suzette". They have good crêpes. It is a good stop as you walk old Montreal.

You could also stop at Les Jardins Nelson. They also serve crêpes. The atmosphere is nice. Although with young children I think chez Suzette is the best option.

I have many more restaurant suggestions. Depends what you like and price. Let us know.

Edited: 22 July 2018, 05:45
Reply to: Old Montreal Walking Tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted