We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel/location is better?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
which hotel/location is better?

I'm driving from Toronto to Montreal on 8/21 in the early morning. I'm planning to visit the old port area and Saint Joseph's Oratory. The next afternoon I'll drive to Quebec City.

I booked two hotels for the one night: one in Boulevard Taschereau, Brossard, 15km away from Notre-Dame Basilica; the other in Sherbrooke Street East, Montreal, 2.2km away from Notre-Dame Basilica.

Both provide free parking and free breakfast, and the first one is $44 cheaper. Which hotel/location is better? Can I find a parking spot near Notre-Dame Basilica? Which should I visit first, the old Port or Saint Joseph's Oratory?

25 replies to this topic
Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
609 reviews
1. Re: which hotel/location is better?

Brossard is across the river and traffic to get across may be a consideration.

If you leave Ontario early enough, I'd visit the Oratorio on the way in as it is on the side of Mont Royal closest to Ontario. If you have enough time, you can get to old port and BND. There is parking but not sure of the (ease of) availability. If you can do both in the early afternoon, then stay in Brossard and go to Québec from there.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: which hotel/location is better?

I would stay at the hotel on Sherbrooke Street. An hotel in Brossard is probably next to Champlain Bridge and you will have traffic. Also, in Old Montreal, parking your car is not easy, you can be driving around for a while before you find any place to park. The only time parking in Old Montreal is not too hard is early morning. On Notre-Dame Street it is allowed to start parking at 8:30am on one side and 9am on the other.

Also, note that Old Montreal and Saint Joseph's Oratory are not close to each other.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
3. Re: which hotel/location is better?

I can drive to Saint Joseph's Oratory as the parking there is easier. If I stay at the at the hotel on Sherbrooke Street, can I leave the car at the hotel and walk to the old port and Notre-Dame Basilica. Will it be too tiring? How much is the parking rate per hour in the old Montreal? Thank you.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
4. Re: which hotel/location is better?

I want to visit Notre-Dame Basilica, but the tour ends at 4:30 pm. Does that mean I can't go inside after 4:30pm? How early should I leave Toronto (Oakville, actually) if I want to visit Saint Joseph's Oratory that afternoon? I didn't find its closing time on the website.

Montreal
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: which hotel/location is better?

Oratory closes at 9 pm

Use Google map for driving times and make sure to allow some time for traffic and bio breaks.

Edited: 19 July 2018, 20:41
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: which hotel/location is better?

The parking at St. Joseph is paid parking and will cost $5. The last English mass on Tuesdays is 7:30pm, so you still have access.

If you stay at the hotel on Sherbrooke street, 2.2 km will take you approximately 30 minutes to walk to Notre-Dame Basilica, there are a few small hills to contend with but it all depends on how much walking you are able to do since when you are in Old Montreal you will also be walking.

As for visiting the Notre-Dame-Basilica their website indicates that it is open to visitors from 8am to 4:30pm.

According to the mapping I did, it will take you over 6 hours from Oakville to St. Joseph Oratory.

Also, if I may, you might want to add Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral to your list, it is in downtown Montreal and 20 minutes walking distance from the Basilica.

Enjoy Montreal, and don't hesitate if you are more questions

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: which hotel/location is better?

Have you considered public transport while here? I don't see any mention of using the metro, so i wonder if you are aware of the option.

If you stay on Sherbrooke, likely you are near a metro or bus that can take you straight to the Notre-Dame Basilica without hassle. Your hotel lobby can help you by pointing out the stop and figuring it out. That area is heavy with construction though making car rides a nightmare. Rene-Levesque, Dr. Penfield and a bunch of other streets have construction re-routing traffic and causing more-than-usual traffic pockets.

Your other option to stay in brossard is not very convenient for your stay. If you wanted to save money, you would be better off staying near Saint-Joseph Oratory, or a hotel off-shore but near a metro station.

The best option is to stay in the city, park your car and forget about it for the remainder of your stay. Take public transport as much as possible or walk.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
26,044 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: which hotel/location is better?

To put it in perspective .. staying in Brossard and visiting locations in the city would be like staying in Mississauga or Oakville and visiting locations in downtown Toronto, with all the attendant traffic issues you'd experience. Whereas staying on Sherbrooke St. would be like staying in Toronto - say around Yorkville or somewhere midtown, and taking public transit to the locations you want to visit.

Not only much easier, but a much more interesting experience of the city.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
9. Re: which hotel/location is better?

We never recommend staying in a suburb. And brossard is possibly the worse suburb to stay in. You will be stuck in hours of traffic getting across the bridge.

If you are really looking to save money. You could stay in Longueil. It is a suburb next to brossard. Not ideal. But that way you could take the metro into the city. Instead of attempting to cross a bridge.

I think you should reconsider. And stay on the island of Montreal.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
10. Re: which hotel/location is better?

Thank you everyone. I'll leave the hotel in Brossard out.

Is it easy to drive to the hotel on Sherbrooke Street in the afternoon around 3:00pm? I want to check in first, leave the car there, and walk or take public transportation to the Old Montreal.

Or, which area will you recommend for the hotel except downtown? Some friends mentioned Longueil or near Saint-Joseph Oratory...

Reply to: which hotel/location is better?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted