We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Montreal Trip...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Montreal Trip...

Apologies in advance for all the questions...

1. What is the best (most cost effective way) to get from the Montreal (YUL) airport to downtown Montreal? I will not be renting a car as it seems parking is pretty expensive there. I saw a post from a few years ago that mentioned the bus was a good choice...Would it still be a safe choice and is the cost still $10 (is that canadian or US) to get from the airport to downtown?

2. This is my first visit to Montreal, is there a good mix of English and French speakers as my french is REALLY REALLY bad so I will need to get by on English. :)

3. What are some "must see" places to visit while I am there?

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,423 Reviews
from US$90.80*
Best Seller
Montreal City Guided Sightseeing Tour
1,147 Reviews
from US$44.20*
Best Seller
Montreal City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
618 Reviews
from US$43.40*
3 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Montreal Trip...

1) Yes the 747 bus is still the best, most affordable method to get downtown, and of course the price is in CAD ... Canadian dollars are the legal currency of this country ... why would we price something in a foreign currency?

Bus info here: http://www.stm.info/en

2) Most people in Montreal are bilingual ... many are trilingual. You will have no problems being understood.

3) Check under the Things to Do tab at top of this page.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Montreal Trip...

Yes the 747 airport express bus is still available. The minimum fare is 10$. (10$ fare is 1 day of unlimited travel). You may also use an 18$ 3 day unlimited fare. Any other more expensive pass like a weekly or a monthly.

There are 2 lines. Short and long. Both go to downtown. One goes straight to the metro. The other makes stops downtown.

stm.info/en/info/networks/bus/shuttle/747-ae…

www.stm.info/en/

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Montreal Trip...

As mentioned by phpr, don't worry about English, you will have no issues.

In Montreal you will want to see the Old Montreal/Old Port. Part of St. Paul Street is closed to traffic so fun to walk. This area is filled with activities, shops, restaurants and art galleries. You can also take a boat tour in the Old Port.

For a good view of the city you might want to have a meal at Les Enfants Terribles which is on the 44th floor of Place Ville Marie.

In Old Montreal there is also the Notre-Dame Cathedral which offers a light show called Aura and close to Place Ville Marie there is the Mary Queen of the World Cathedral which is beautiful inside.

Further away from downtown, there is the Botanical Garden which is very large and beautiful to visit.

Enjoy, Montreal is a beautiful city !

Reply to: Questions about Montreal Trip...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted