We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.

Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.

My wife & I have a three night trip planned for September to Montreal. I would like to surprise her with a romantic couple of hours at a winery. Do any wineries within driving distance offer anything along these lines??? A personal tour, a private lunch, etc...??? (We are staying in old Montreal & we will have a rental car, so a bit of a drive is ok with me.)

7 replies to this topic
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.

There are about 2 dozen wineries within 90 minutes of Montreal. many of them are quite beautiful. Some that come to mind - l'Orpaillieur (which has a beautiful french restaurant), Cote's d'Ardoise (these two are next to each other), Leon Courville, and the more modest Domanie du Ridge. You can pick up a 'Route des Vins' map of the Brome-Missisquoi' which is very helpful.

Edited: 18 July 2018, 17:55
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.

See the wine route for some information: http://www.laroutedesvins.ca/en/

I would say it is more of a day trip than a few hours, seeing the distance involved. Beware of traffic which can be miss-leading.

Just a note: if you decide to stay within Montreal, i would recommend you forget the rental car. It'll be a nuissance more than any help. Parking and construction here is terrible and the metro is a faster way to get around.

Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.

Thanks. We’re flying into Boston & driving a rental to Montreal. It’s cheaper to pay the $35 per day parking fee rather than drop the rental off & re-rent one for the drive back to Boston.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.

- Make sure that your rental agreement allows you to bring your car into Canada

- You should calculate the rental cost and the parking cost in Montreal, maybe doing this leg in plane could cost nearly the same or just a bit more expensive

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.

We had to rent a car for our last trip to the Eastern Townships. We rented from Enterprise - no problem taking car over the border. For some reason Enterprise only allows smaller cars to Canada, not SUV's.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.

I feel like you are underestimating the current state of our roads.... i am not exagerating by saying that 40% of our streets downtown are currently closed, unearthed or jammed.... Just be prepared.

Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.

We’ve crunched the numbers. Way cheaper to park the rental at hotel for 3 nights over re-renting a car for the drive back to Boston. Rental car is permitted in and out of Canada. Mexico, not the case.

Reply to: Romantic day winery? A guy needs help.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted