We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Long Island, NY to Montreal

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip Long Island, NY to Montreal

We're attending a wedding in Montreal in August. We'd like to break up the 7 hour drive on each side of the trip. We thought we'd drive straight to Montreal with a lunch break in Saratoga or Vermont. On the return we are considering an additional night or two, possibly to the Eastern Townships.

Does it make sense to go to the Eastern Townships. Is it worth driving out of the way. Most other questions recommend the townships on the way to Quebec. We visited Quebec a few years ago and wanted to do something else. We haven't been to Vermont either aside from a stop at the outlets.

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,422 Reviews
from US$90.40*
Best Seller
Montreal City Guided Sightseeing Tour
1,146 Reviews
from US$44.00*
Best Seller
Montreal City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
618 Reviews
from US$43.20*
3 replies to this topic
Montreal
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Long Island, NY to Montreal

it is a bit driving out of the way. I would stop somewhere in NY state.. Esatern townships are only 1 hour away from Montreal.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Long Island, NY to Montreal

Just stay on I 87 to come in and have a lunch stop at Saratoga Springs and then, if not too late, you can also make a stop to visit Ausable Chasm.

Return you can drive though Vermont by using one of the small border crosings around Rouses Point, drive through the Champlain Islands and head to Burlington. The little town is charming and nearby Shelburn Farms and Museum have enough to entertain you for more than a day. Then drive through southern Vermont by roads 7, 22a and 4 to join I87 at Queensbury.

Alternately, if you are not able to visit Ausable on your way in, you can drive back to this attraction and then take the ferry over Lake Champlain to Burlington, it is located just one mile away.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip Long Island, NY to Montreal

I will check out your suggestions. thank you.

Reply to: Road trip Long Island, NY to Montreal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted