We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
951 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

Good evening, does a US based credit card like VISA with a chip also need my PIN number for hotels etc? Thank you for your courtesy.

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,424 Reviews
from US$90.80*
Best Seller
Montreal City Guided Sightseeing Tour
1,148 Reviews
from US$44.20*
Best Seller
Montreal City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
618 Reviews
from US$43.40*
15 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

Despite some of what's posted above the answer is a simple: No.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
519 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

"that is the difference with the Canadian Chip cards - you do not sign anything."

I'm aware that credit cards issued in Canada require a PIN. Since the OP is coming from the US, my frequent experience is that US based cards do not need a PIN at this time regardless of whether they are used in the US or Canada or wherever. The card is still placed in the chip reader just as a Canadian card would, but instead of entering a PIN, we get a receipt to sign when in Canada. The card reader terminals must be programmed to recognize US based cards as I've never once had to enter a PIN while in Canada.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

Folks, seriously, it depends on the service agreement between the USA bank and the Canadian payment processor. These agreements change over time, so whatever deal there was six months ago may not be the same today or next week.

I have multiple cards with multiple banks and I have completely given up trying to predict how any of the cards work and I'm just happy if the first one is accepted.

Roll with it.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
519 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

I got my first chip enabled credit card at least 5 years ago and in that time in multiple trips per year to Montreal, have never needed a PIN to use my US issued credit cards. My guess is that the Canadian payment processor is able to read whether the card is Canadian issued or US issued and in the case of the latter, prints out a receipt for the cardholder to sign.

If US issued cards all of a sudden needed a PIN to be used, the credit card company would have to notify the cardholder in writing prior to the requirement being put into place.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

The simple fact is that using an American in Canada, or anywhere, is no problem.

If it's a Visa, for example, and the place accepts Visa you'll be able to pay with it. Period.

Reply to: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted