We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
952 posts
11 reviews
Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

Good evening, does a US based credit card like VISA with a chip also need my PIN number for hotels etc? Thank you for your courtesy.

15 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,997 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

Yes, if you want to be able to pay using the chip. If you do not have a PIN to verify the transaction, then the merchant will swipe your card and you have to sign the sales slip. (How very antiquated to the whole world ... except the USA.)

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

It depends on your credit card. Ask your bank.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

In addition to having to go retro and sign, you may also have to show ID. All Canadian card readers are equiped to read Chip and Pin, we were a year or two ahead of the U.S.. in adapting it. If for some reason you want to avoid the Pin, I have no idea why you would want to, you could prepay on line before you arrive.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
952 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

Thank you all for the advice.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,259 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

and with a Chip-Pin card there is the option of TAP which does not need a pin for smaller amounts. The lower amounts for TAP only seems to vary depending on type of stores - our grocery store is good for under $100 but other shops seem to be under $50.

and if you have the option on the reader to make the transaction in $US dollars Please do not use the option; the rate you get for the exchange will be worse then if you make the transaction in $CAD and wait for your statement

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

You shouldn't need a PIN to use the credit card. We use ours quite frequently in Montreal and never had to use a PIN. Card goes into the chip reader on the handheld terminal, you select tip amount, verify the total, then hand the terminal back to your server. They'll print a receipt for you to sign and you'll be on your way.

I haven't had them "swipe" any of my cards there in at least a few years now. Hotels may just swipe them when you check in but I never really paid attention as we usually pre-pay for hotel stays.

Edited: 06 June 2018, 04:41
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

I believe you only need a PIN if you are going to use the credit card as a debit (i.e. get cash). When I went to Europe last year, my friend suggested to PIN as a backup in case I would need cash. I was able to use my credit card with the chip reader without ever having to enter my PIN.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
594 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

You need PIN as soon as you insert the chip card inside the terminal wherever the transaction amount is.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

"You need PIN as soon as you insert the chip card inside the terminal wherever the transaction amount is."

I use both my VISA and Amex quite frequently in Montreal and have never needed to enter a PIN. Card goes into chip reader, confirm amount and ad tip, then a receipt prints that I sign. Only place I've ever needed a PIN is when using my debit card to get cash in Canada. Have never needed a PIN any other time.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,259 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?

then a receipt prints that I sign.

that is the difference with the Canadian Chip cards - you do not sign anything.

Reply to: Does my chipped credit card need a PIN?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted