We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The what not to do in Montreal

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
The what not to do in Montreal

Hello

I plan to visit Montreal in July and I've read up on good tips on what to eat, travel to and experience. It will be my first time going there and I wanted to ask what are some tips people can offer as to what to avoid ( e.g locations, restaurants, tourist traps) and what to do as to not offend locals?

28 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

Avoid: paying in USD. It is not a legal currency here. (We get the question more often than we should)

Do: pay in CAD

Do: try your best at speaking French. Even though most people will switch to English once they here your accent. It helps to know a few words. And be patient if say you get a cab driver or shop owner who has trouble speaking English. Remember you're the one visiting.

Locations to avoid: not really any

Also cannot think of any tourist traps.

The one thing which came up awhile ago is do not leave valuables (phone, laptop, or even bag) in your car in view. I think this is more general advice. And applies to anyone coming from rural areas. Break ins are not a big problem, in fact the crime rate is really low compared to other cities, but it did come up once on the forum.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

Thank you very much! I was wondering about the French as I thought to breakout the Duolingo to learn words and phrases in case. Also, I read Uber pulled out of Quebec. Are other ride sharing companies there or is it all just local cabs companies ?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

If you are driving, note that it is illegal to make a red turn on a red light in Montreal (at least on the island).

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

There's not a whole lot you shouldn't do. The big one is don't be rude. I've had rude Americans demand I speak to them in their language before I've even said hello. So I answer in Spanish ;)

Uber isn't known for its respectful culture, so that's pretty much what happened to them too. Uber tried the tough talk maga approach and learned they're not as special as they think they are. cbc.ca/news/…uber-deal-quebec-1.4353038

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

You should take public transit instead of uber. www.stm.info/en/ it is reliable and much better than public transit in most American cities.

Also there is a flat rate for cabs from the airport to downtown (40$) so cheaper than uber.

There is also a 10$ 747 airport express bus that makes many stops downtown.

NJ
Level Contributor
505 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

Oh my! So glad you posted this. I’ve been to Montreal many times & always try to speak what I have practiced in French. Don’t want to be the “ugly American!”. But, at the times when the US dollar was stronger, I always thought I was tipping generously since the US could be cashed in for more at the banks in Canada. Not so???

Edited: 23 May 2018, 14:46
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

Well theoretically ... however it means the person must go to their bank to exchange the USD. What do you think would happen if a Canadian left CAD for a tip in the US during the times (infrequent) when the CAD is stronger than the USD?

Montreal
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

I agree also that leaving a tip in another currency is obnoxious as if you cannot take your precious time to convert your currency into the legal one of the country you are in.

The recipient needs to make a special trip to the bank to get it exchanged...

When in Rome...

NJ
Level Contributor
505 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

To be honest, I would save the bills & go to the bank once a week, probably. But I appreciate your input. I’ll get some Canadian cash before we check into the hotel! Thanks for the insight!

Montreal
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The what not to do in Montreal

Europeans tourists would never expect to pay with Euros in another country... Why do americans think it's ok to pay with their currency???

Reply to: The what not to do in Montreal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted