We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 Hours in Montreal

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
18 Hours in Montreal

My daughter (15) and I will have an 18 hour layover in Montreal this July (1:30pm - 7:30am). We'll definitely check out Old Montreal and do a lot of walking around, but what else should we check out?Any airport hotel recommendations? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,277 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
8 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 Hours in Montreal

You should know that the airport is nowhere near old Montreal and downtown. It isn't really near anything besides airport business hotels.

You will need to either take a taxi to downtown which is a flat rate (~40$). Or take the 747 bus to and from the airport to downtown. It is 10$ and includes a transit pass (bus and metro) for the rest of the day. This is very practical as you will want to take the metro downtown and to Old Montreal.

You should definitely check out old Montreal and walk around, see the old port and Notre dame basilica. Also Downtown and the underground city. If you have time maybe even Mount Royal and saint Joseph's oratory.

Edited: 25 February 2018, 15:32
Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,277 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Notre-Dame Basilica
Notre-Dame Basilica
15,881 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Mount Royal Park
Mount Royal Park
8,515 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 Hours in Montreal

If you stay downtown it might make more sense to see more. Depends on the time of your departing flight.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 Hours in Montreal

St-Denis street.

Also watch the sunset from the lookout at the chalet on Mount Royal (sunrise is better, but it can be early)

Stay downtown. If your flight is at 7:30, you will beat traffic by going to the airport at 5 am, and the hotels near the airport are "functional".

Mentioned in this post
Hotel St-Denis
Hotel St-Denis
731 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Mount Royal Park
Mount Royal Park
8,515 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 Hours in Montreal

Saint Denis street (shopping) is not what it used to be. There are some good shops but I think your time would be better spent in the underground city. (Linked underground malls and tunnels below downtown) just some of the malls include, Eaton Centre, Place Montreal Trust, Place Ville Marie (PVM), Promenades cathedral, les cours mont royal, just to name a few.

I think time is better spent there and in Old Montreal. Given the amount of time available.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel St-Denis
Hotel St-Denis
731 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Place Ville-Marie
Place Ville-Marie
67 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,277 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 Hours in Montreal

LeeJaye1, I love the idea of a Mount Royal sunset - thanks for that suggestion! I think we'll stay out of the malls in order to really soak up some cultural ambience, but Notre Dame is definitely on the list, Email1010 :) Our flight is at 7:30, so I'd feel more comfortable staying within a few minutes of the airport - we'll still have a good 8 hours or so to go on an adventure, though! Unless there is a must-stay hotel, in which case it would be worth it...

Edited: 25 February 2018, 21:47
Mentioned in this post
Mount Royal Park
Mount Royal Park
8,515 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
montreal
Level Contributor
148 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 Hours in Montreal

Your plan is a good one; afternoon and evening in Old Montreal....and you can easily walk north for 10 minutes or so up McGill or St Laurent to downtown core...or to St Denis mentioned that is about 6 blocks east of St Laurent.. Depending when in July, you could run into Jazzfest or comedy fest which both have extensive free outdoor shows. I wouldn't bother personally with Mount Royal as it is a bit far away and would require metro and bus ride to get there.

Aloft and Sheraton are closest to terminal (except for Mariot that is in terminal) but any you should be safe with any hotel that offers a free shuttle.

Mentioned in this post
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,277 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Hotel St-Denis
Hotel St-Denis
731 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Mount Royal Park
Mount Royal Park
8,515 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 Hours in Montreal

Good point about Jazzfest, Capfan! Yes, I think it's all about the walking, too. Mount Royal sounds quite cool, but I don't think we want to stress about getting there (unless my daughter WANTS to check out the metro, which might be a neat thing in itself for her). We'll play it by ear, but heading to Old Montreal first before wandering is a good 'plan'. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mount Royal Park
Mount Royal Park
8,515 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,277 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 18 Hours in Montreal

Metro is really easy to navigate and will save you walking. Also broadens the choice of restaurants. 3.25$ each connections included for 3 hours. Or weekend, evening, 3 day unlimited passes are also available.

It's highly recommended, and it's one of the quietest in the world (rubber tires), modeled after the one in Paris.

It's fast and convenient for old Montreal and downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Reply to: 18 Hours in Montreal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;