We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 College Students Spring Break Trip

2 posts
Save Topic
6 College Students Spring Break Trip

Hello, we are 6 college students trying to plan a trip to Montreal over spring break. We would like to be in(or near/easily accessible to) an area where the nightlife is fun for college students. If anyone has any recommendations as to what areas contain good nightlife, or have any tips for traveling around Montreal during the week of March 11-18 (including St. Patrick's day), any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
9 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip

You'll probably want to stay downtown. It is very convenient to get to attractions and nightlife and just about anywhere else. The metro is well connected.

It would help if you could add your budget. So we can advise you on a hotel or perhaps a youth place?

For nightlife, the legal age is 18. Make sure you have good Id, we aren't as strict as in the states for alcohol, but clubs might not want to accept someone has a 'wierd' foreign passport. (And you shouldn't bring a passport anywhere it could be easily stolen) if of course youre 20+, you probably won't get carded.

Good places for clubbing is on Saint- Laurent. Look up "Rouge Bar" and "Buonnanotte". Both are popular clubs with students. And they a close by, don't like one go to the other.

Be careful when you are out in clubs/bars etc. Do not carry many valuables, and keep an eye on your drink. Do not put it down either. Drugs are a problem here as much as in any city, so be careful and stay safe. We want you to have a nice trip.

Edited: 07 February 2018, 00:08
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip

Also to add. University is the term we use for what you call "College".

We call grades ~12,13 college or Cegep.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip

Thank you so much for your help!! We were planning on staying in an air bnb hopefully near Saint-Laurent, and we were hoping to spend under $200 per night on housing.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
24,529 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip

Airbnb is highly regulated in Montreal. Most are not legal.If the owner/renter cannot provide a license from the government, then it is not a legal rental.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip

Please check on this website listing the legal rentals. Only those listed here are legitimate. Most Airbnbs are illegal.

https:/…cottages

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip

My friends and I are also staying for spring break, driving from Rutgers in New Jersey. We've heard of Stereo and Muzique as far as nightclubs.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,683 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip

Just a reminder...each of you will require valid passports to visit Canada, and perhaps some of you will require Visas.

https:/…entry-requirements-country.html

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,852 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip

Just be aware the date rape drugs are in use in clubs in the city, happened to my 21 year old in Muzique. So heed all the cover your drinks warnings and stay together, they staying together part made my daughters experience a lot safer, though still awful.

Also make sure you have travel health insurance, if you end up in our ER they will expect you to pay upfront.

Airbnb is not a good choice here unless the owner can provide you with their permit.

My American friends say they find Montreal expensive compared to NJ, despite the great exchange rate.

Edited: 04 March 2018, 13:21
Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip

It's not just Muzique, I've heard it happening all over the place. No real rhyme or reason. Just be careful everywhere you go.

I haven't heard about Stereo. I'd stick with the others mentioned.

Reply to: 6 College Students Spring Break Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted