We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage storage

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage storage

We are coming into Montreal at around 7am and we can't check into our Airbnb until the afternoon. Where can we store our luggage in the meantime so we don't have to lug it around?

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
13 replies to this topic
Montreal
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage storage

Search Google for luggage handler Montreal.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston...
Level Contributor
185 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage storage

This is actually a good question. I just finished a weekend in Montreal, which was fabulous in all respects except this one. I had a small bag, but there was no place to store it after I checked out of my B&B, and before my afternoon flight. I had searched google extensively prior to travel, and came up with the Berri-UQAM station, which was nearby. But it turned out that only passengers with outgoing travel from there are allowed to use the lockers. I ended up carrying my bag while I was sightseeing... walked over six miles, and a few days later, my arms are still sore. It also meant I couldn't go into museums or do much besides walk, so sadly I lost half a day of what could have been a more interesting experience, since Montreal has a lot to offer culturally..

It's really a shame there isn't more info out there about this. Or perhaps there simply are no options for luggage storage? I would like to know for the next trip if there was a smarter way to handle it. And this information would help others searching on this forum.

Well, I guess planning a morning flight or choosing accommodations on the criteria that they will hold my luggage are solutions, but it would be nice to know if there is a better approach that would have let me optimize my time better.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage storage

This is why people choose hotels over rentals, hotels generally store bags on early arrival or late departure. Offering baggage lockers means dealing with all kinds of potential issues.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,264 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage storage

Most museums will allow you to check a bag, along with your coat in their coat check while you see the collections.

There are very few public lockers available in North America now ... most were closed/removed after 9/11.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,775 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage storage

Actually they stayed open longer than probably anywhere in North America after 9/11. I was living in Florida at that time and one week after 9/11 I could not even have my luggage checked at my hotel in Orlando when my bus back to Fort Lauderdale was only at midnight. It was a gut feeling of the desk employees then but just 2 months later there was not a single place to check my luggage in NYC at the bus terminal or the train stations when I was there only for a day trip with my flight to Montréal being only in the evening. Finaly I was not carrying such a big luggage but decided to go to MOMA where there was an hour line up for the regular coat check since it was Monday and I, finally, just paid for an out of town membership just to avoid the lines for both tickets and coat check.

It was not untill quite a few years before the bus station here limited the access to lockers only for bus passengers with tickets and I suspect that this was even more a question of homeless using the lockers to store their things.

Museums never present a problem in Montréal, all have coatchecks. What I don't know is if Gare d'Autocars will accept luggages of those people that want to take the 747 bus to the airport later on.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,615 Reviews
New York City, NY
Boston...
Level Contributor
185 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage storage

Thank you. That's interesting -- I would not have thought the coat checks in museums would accept my bag (though it wasn't huge, a small soft-sided shoulder bag about 20 liters). I probably should have tried, because it would have been a better use of my morning. As it was I ended up walking and eating my way through Montreal instead. So if for nothing else, I will have to return sometime soon to get another one of those bagels :)

I also wrote to the tourist board with this question after I returned home. They suggested that some shopping malls have lockers. However, they weren't specific about which ones. Something to look for though.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
7. Re: Luggage storage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2018, 16:29

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage storage

Luggage H you cannot promote your business here. Reported.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage storage

Ah the inconveniences that come with renting an Airbnb. This is what people don't think about when they go the illegal route instead of booking a hotel.

For luggage lockers, Central station has some, but only for travellers with train tickets. The Gare D'autocars (intercity bus terminal) next to Berri-UQAM metro station (Not the same station as its referenced above) has but only for travellers with intercity bus tickets.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,990 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage storage

Old post resurrected by self promo advertising.

Reply to: Luggage storage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted