We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 hours in Toronto

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
17 hours in Toronto

Hi all,

I am lucky enough to have 17 hours in Toronto in Saturday from around 11.30am onwards.

There are a few things I would really like to know if anyone would be so kind as to tell me.

Firstly, what is the best (and cheapest way to get from the airport to downtown Toronto?

Where would be good to get some lunch? I'm thinking a really good deli where I can get a huge sandwich bursting at the seams with meat!

Given the delightful weather you seem to be getting right now what would be good to do inside and cheaply/not overly busy?

I'm also after a good place for a relaxed dinner and a beer in the evening, preferably where they will be showing some hockey?

Thank you for your time in advance.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 hours in Toronto

The best place to watch hockey would be the Real Sports Bar voted by ESPN the best sports bar in North America. For lunch i would recommend walking thru the st lawrence market. http://www.stlawrencemarket.com

http://www.realsports.ca/bar

Edited: 29 March 2012, 19:30
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 hours in Toronto

Depends on what part of town you'll be in, but here are some of my favourite "large sandwich" type joints:

Black Camel

Porchetta & Co.

Schnitzel Queen (weekdays only)

Churrasco Of St. Lawrence (in the market)

Carousel Bakery (also in SLM)

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 hours in Toronto

Cheapest way to get downtown from the airport is to take public transport. A bus will take you to Islington Subway station. Once your on the subway it will take you right downtown. It should cost a total of around $3.10.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 hours in Toronto

Taking public transportation (TTC) will be your cheapest option for getting from Pearson International Airport to downtown Toronto.

"A bus will take you to Islington Subway station"

I'm not sure what bus the previous poster is referring to, but the bus that runs between the airport and the subway arrives at KIPLING station - the westmost stop on the Bloor-Danforth Subway line. The bus route is 192 Aiport Rocket. Once you arrive at Kipling subway station, you can take the subway downtown - there are various stations that service the downtown core so where you get off will depend on where exactly you are headed.

"It should cost a total of around $3.10"

A one-way cash fare for the TTC curently costs $3.

For more info, please refer to "How to get from Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ) to downtown" under the top questions column on the right side of the page. You can also refer to the TTC website at www.ttc.ca

S K
Canada
Level Contributor
612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 hours in Toronto

Take the subway and hit St. Lawrence Market or Kensington - agree!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 hours in Toronto

How far is the St. Lawrence Market from the Hockey Hall of Fame? That may be of interest.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,530 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 hours in Toronto

Hi queeni_traveler;

The St. Lawrence Market is approx. 0.30 mi / 0.48 km east of the HHoF.

http://www.stlawrencemarket.com

Best Regards

Edited: 08 April 2012, 21:12
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 17 hours in Toronto

Or, to put it another way, they're only about four blocks apart so they'd be very convenient to visit together. Just walk east on Wellington or Front Street from the HHOF and you can't miss the St. Lawrence Market.

If you keep walking 15 minutes further east along The Esplanade (at the south end of the market), you'll reach the Distillery District.

9. Re: 17 hours in Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:18