We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewellery

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Jewellery

Hi all

On all my trips away I buy some form of jewellery. When I was younger I used to buy fake or costume jewellery but more recently I’ve gone for silver and as of my last trip to Hawaii, gold. Out of all the junk I bring back from my trip these seem to be the ones that get the most use and honestly I am not a huge jewellery buff.

I’ll be staying at the Hilton in Toronto but will be travelling to Ottawa Montreal and Quebec city if there is a chain(no pun intended) of jewellery store I should look out for. Now I am not looking for anything la di da or very expensive. I’ll probably look for another charm for my necklace as I rarely take it off. I also hold on to my necklace of to get a bit of confidence or when I am thinking. 4 charms are from my hubby so it gives me a nice warm feeling of being loved but I also have the one from Hawaii which is a plumeria flower so it reminds me of trip to Hawaii and how awesome that trip was. I’m not looking for anything particular in a charm i.e. something Canadian, anything will do as long as I like what it is. Although I am looking for gold and looking at paying no more than say 60 CAD for a charm. Also may look for another pair of earrings, cause you can never have enough earrings or go something different but wouldn’t want to spend anymore than say $200.

Is there anywhere I can look that’s with in my price range?

Thanks all

Toronto
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewellery

Distillery District has many jewelery shops with local artists...some of them you can watch make their pieces right there. Also, down in Harborfront you'll see the same scene. You'll probably have a hard time choosing, considering how many shops you'll find. And both parts of the city are beautiful so it makes it for a nice shopping experience.

harbourfrontcentre.com/learn/…

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
865 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewellery

Ditto on the suggestion for Distillery District if you are looking for one of a kind. If it's a "chain" you are looking for, you could try Birks. There are a number in Toronto including the Manulife Centre at Bay and Bloor Streets, the Eaton Centre and First Canadian Place. There are also stores in Ottawa and Montreal.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewellery

PLEASE don't go to the chain jewellery stores. You can do SO much better if you're looking for a souvenir of your time here. I, too, always buy a pair of earrings when I go away, so I know exactly what you mean.

Yes, to Distillery District here. Also have a look in the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) gift shop. Also the Guild Shop in Yorkville, they showcase the talents of local Ontario artists.

When you get to the Old City in Quebec, there are tons of artisan shops there, most definitely keep hold of your wallet til you get there.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewellery

Hi all thanks for your replies.

I did check out birks as it was a name that came up when i searched for jewellery on this forum. I didnt want to repost the same thing as someone else. I couldn't find a basic charm on there website, everything was bejewelled. Dont get me wrong they were beautiful but they cost more than this trip haaa haa.

I didnt even think at looking at the Distillery as i figured it would just be more on the costume jewllery side of things. Which i do want to buy not only for my self but friends and family to but i wasn't going to make a special trip to get that kinda stuff it was kind of going to be if i stumble across it. Now i know that i can get Gold jewllery there ill be heading there.

Thanks all any other suggestions greatly welcomed

~ oh i just google mapped it and its about a half an hour walk from our hotel. i wont mind the walk there im sure but if i do a bit of shopping i doubt ill enjoy the walk back. Any tips on how to get there any other way or the best way to get theer if we do walk as google has some weird and strange ways of getting places sometimes thanks

Edited: 12 July 2010, 03:33
Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewellery

There is also an artist area in Old Montreal with some fabulous local jewellers. I picked up a one of a kind glass, metal, wood bracelet on a trip a few years ago and I wear it with so many things, jeans to dresses.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewellery

The Distillery District is a great walk because you can go through "old town Toronto". From your hotel, walk south to Wellington St and turn left to head east. Wellington eventually merges with Front Street at the Flatiron Building (where the distillery's headquarters were located). Continue east on Front Street to the St Lawrence Market, and turn right to head one block south on Lower Jarvis Street. At the Esplanade, turn left again to head west along the path through the park. Once you cross Parliament Street, the Distillery District will be on your right.

To return from the Distillery District by transit, you can either catch a westbound #72 bus along Mill Street, which will take you to Union Station, or you can walk north a couple of blocks to King Street, where you can take a streetcar westbound to Yonge. In either case, ask the driver for a paper "transfer" when you pay your fare; this will allow you to switch to the subway to complete your journey free of charge.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewellery

We got our wedding bands and engagement ring from Leif Benner (http://www.leifbenner.com/) and were quite pleased. My wife and I both liked a lot of his work. I suspect most of it is more expensive than what you are looking for but you might find something lovely on the lower end of the price range as well.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewellery

We agree with those who have suggested having a look in Montreal or Quebec City. Whenever we've attended the huge One of a Kind Gift Show here in Toronto we always seem to find the artisans from Quebec (province) to be the most outstanding in the show.

You may wish to also pose your question on the TA Montreal forum.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewellery

Thanks for all your help, ill let you know how i go when i get back thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewellery

Corktown Designs in the Distillery carries jewellery made by local and international jewellers. They carry some gold, although most of their jewellery is silver. corktowndesigns.com/Corktown%20Designs.html

Magi is another jeweller in Toronto that carries some beautiful gold jewellery. There are several locations in Toronto (Bayview Village Mall, Yorkdale Mall, Yorkville, maybe a few others). You might be able to find some earrings under $200, but I wouldn't think they would have gold charms for less than $60. http://www.magi-jewels.com/

Another store with some pretty charms and some gold jewellery is Augustina, a clothing, purse & jewellery boutique in Yorkville. However, I think most of the charms would be more than $60, and most of their jewellery is over $200-$400.

http://www.augustinaboutiques.com/teaser/

Many stores in Toronto sell charms that fit the Pandora necklaces and bracelets. If that's the type of necklace you have, there is also a Pandora store downtown, in the Financial district, a short walk from the Hilton. I believe Pandora is located in First Canadian Place.