We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
973 reviews
Save Topic
Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

Going to Stratford in September and just wondered if anyone has any updates or opinions on the shows or restaurants. We have our tickets but could easily add another show if there is one that is a "must see". Would love to see some updated restaurant reviews or commentary on restarants. Looking forward to our trip

9 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
9,809 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

We saw an Ideal Husband so far. Quite funny. Wonderful costumes and set design. Rocky Horror is going to be a hit. Be aware that directors have played around with traditional roles, Caesar is a woman, Prospero is a woman and a black man plays Harold Hill ( Music Man). If you are a traditionalist you may want to select your plays carefully,

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

I found this article with some great tips: Where to Eat in Stratford if You Only Have $18: https:/…

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

Fine dining in Stratford has been in a turmoil in the l st few years. Rundle's has closed definetely, The Church was sold and became Revival with a more "hip" and casual style of menu not appropriate for the setting and containing all the clichés of casual chic places from tartares to gastro burgers to charcuterie board to , brace yourselves poutine et not with foie gras or lobster the specialty of along the road snack bars in Québec and not an ounce of originality. I am also very leery of restaurnts that serves French onion soup au gratin in the middle of summer.

The Old Prune has been sold and became The Prune but with the same chef; well this is he seems to be gone but I see many of imprints of his style still on the menu so that would still be my pick for fine dining.

As per play Stratford Festival favour of colour blind casting of their shows, unless they deal directly with african american where the lines keemp be divided (To kill a Mocking Bird) they can appear in all kind of roles, including as Professor Harold Hill. This Music Man is also a huge success. Since may be last year but evidently big this season seems to be a gender equality or sometimes queer confusion in some of the more classic plays. Prospero has been played by women in the past so it is not so dairing but for the rest he problem with Straftord Sheakespeare is that they fall in two natures, either fairly standard when the big question seems alway to what period of history are switching it and such and the silly concepts that add nothing to the message, I call dumb down post modern Stratford, like this year The Comedy of Errors and some other years ago taking places in N-FL or one in the backyard of house in Stratford with hamburgers and hot dogs at the brbie and plenty of shenanigans,

There was a very grat show sometimes, incluing an aboslutely clilly Macbeth. Not opened yet but soon, iI am placing a very good bet on a production of Coriolanus by Robert Lepage, the most internationnaly name in Canadian theatre. I have seen some preview snippets and it does shows te unique inrints of thi genius director that, it's a shame, that he has never worked at Stratford before. The only problem I see is that Lepage does special workshop with his actors that become real collaborater but then consider a show as a work in progress for a few months which is certainly not the Stratford format where many actors play in more than one plays and with the matinees and the night shows following are in full swing all the time when he require his specific space all the time then.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,239 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

yes rick b ... but do you actually have any up-to-date experience with the festival and the community this year, or are you just spouting personal opinion based on ... how many years has it been since you were there?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

Last year. I am a chef so I can evaluate menus easily and didn't want to go to go to Revival. Preferred Bentley's that is not pretentious at all and has this good vibe with theater people. As per theater I studied it at college and had many friends in the biz so I will say, with no shame, that I am possibly as good as theater critics. The only thing is that this year I will not go see Long Day's Journey; a claustrophobic play for 3 and half hours is just out of my league. As per Coriolanus it is funny, Lepage will do it in Stratford and then in French in Montréal. So if the English one is good I will certainly see the French to compare!

Sorry for all the mistakes and typos on my last reply, I was just falling asleep and just wanted to finish it completely before going to bed.

Forgot to mention that from all the reviews The Music Man is a huge success and nobody notice that the lead is black after 5 minutes in the show.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

phpr, are you now the designated quality control officer for the Canadian forum?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
973 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

Interesting information. I personally have no issues with who plays what role as long as they perform the role at a high level. Please keep the restaurant info coming. I saw something about a bacon and ale trail on the Stratford Tourism website that we might check out

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,239 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

ronw - not at all, however in one of rickb's previous threads on Stratford he acknowledged he hadn't been there in a number of years and that his info was outdated, which is unhelpful. At least this time he is up-to-date, which is all the OP required.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??

I used to go to Stratford quite a lot since one of my very good friend was executive chef at Langdon Hall, so I stayed at her place fin Cambridge or a few weeks of vacation each summer and spent many days in Stratford, knowing the top chefs and owners through her but also seeing a lot of plays. But I just got tired of the not so deeply thought Shakespeare productions and the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals. Things seems to have changed a lot since then and Anthony Cimolino seems to be a real inspired shakespearean director and Donna Feore the best to fit high energy musicals on the elizabethan Festival thrust stage. I still have a friend living around and that's how I got my fix last year and I will try to go again this summer although my chef buddies seems all out of the picture at the moment.

Reply to: Any 2018 updates on shows or restaurants??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stratford