We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

1 post
Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

We are planning family reunion in London, Ontario. WE would like to take in a few days of skiing not too far from London, Ontario. Any suggestions?, coming from Florida.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,804 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

The closest ski hill is Boler Mountain .. and use the word mountain very loosely.... more of big hill.

Whether there will be enough snow - real and/or man-made - will be something you'll need to gauge closer to the time.

http://www.bolermountain.com/

Otherwise look at Blue Mountain in Collingwood. It too is not a mountain, but a bigger hill than Boler.

https://www.bluemountain.ca/

Canada
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

Boler is called the Byron Bump by locals, So that gives you some idea of the size, Kitchener (Chicopee) and Milton (Glen Eden) also have facilities. Your best bet would be to book a few days up at Blue Mountain. Book accommodations early- it gets busy during the Christmas break.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

The weather around London may be too warm still for skiing at the end of December.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

Blue Mountain Is kind of far but I would recommend it too. We always don't have lots of snow on the ground by New Years Day. I recall it raining in Toronto the night before NYE a few years back in 2011. Blue Mountain is quite a ways north of Toronto so that is good, there likely will be lots of snow up there by new years day

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,804 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

" there likely will be lots of snow up there by new years day" .. not necessarily. Many winters there has not been enough real snow, or temperatures low enough to make it until well into January.

Canada
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

I differ with post #5 . The latest opening date ever was Dec 30 2015 at Blue Mt,

Edited: 18 August 2017, 15:06
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,804 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

Uh-huh .. 2015 was a real banner year:

https://www.thestar.com/news/starweather/201…

ctvnews.ca/canada/ont-ski-hill-bringing-summ…

London, Canada
4 posts
8. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

I am throwing out one more suggestion. How about going to Ellicottville, New York just south of Buffalo? It is a little further than Blue Mountain but we like it much better. It has a greater variety of runs and seems to be less crowded. We find Blue very steep with very few Greens/Blues. We take our children 22 and 20 and they love the blacks and we have our fun on the Greens/Blues. Our Canadian dollar doesn't go as far but for us it is worth it.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

The problem is the temps, late Dec isn't certain to have bellow freezing temperatures.

Frankly I have given up on skiing in Dec or Jan, for one I'm getting old and the other reason is its either too warm or too cold in early winter. It be warm enough for rain but then a cold front brings heavy snow and then for the next week or so very cold temps with lots of wind gusts. Plus the daylight hours are very short.

In Feb- March on sunny days its much more fun to go skiing

10. Re: Skiing near London, Ontario, during New Years holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2018, 23:18