We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digby or Brier Island for Whale Watching?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Digby or Brier Island for Whale Watching?

Greetings all!

I have five days in NS in August and am working on an itinerary that includes whale watching. To maximize my chances of seeing whales, do I need to go all the way to Brier Island? Or can I stay in the Digby area?

Many thanks!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,824 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digby or Brier Island for Whale Watching?

All the operators communicate with each other and go to the same area (where the whales are.)

If you check the whale watching links you will find here you will see a map and the names of some of the operators. Many people stay in Digby; others in Annapolis Royal, along with those who stay in Brier Island, etc.

https:/…Learning.About.The.Bay.Of.Fundy.html

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Digby or Brier Island for Whale Watching?

Oh really? That's awesome. I saw that the various companies will communicate with each other, but I didn't realize that the communication extended that far geographically-speaking. So, realistically, whether the boat leaves from Digby or Brier Island, we'll probably be watching the whales in about the same spot?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,824 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Digby or Brier Island for Whale Watching?

Yes, that is my understanding. Or if whales are seen in several places I guess there could be boats in several places.

Edited: 15 May 2016, 18:20
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Digby or Brier Island for Whale Watching?

Wonderful, thank you so much!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Digby or Brier Island for Whale Watching?

I would recommend going at least as far as East Ferry. It's aprox a 45 min drive from Digby. The Petite Passage whale watching leaves from there & it means you don' t have to wait for the local ferry. They will be going to the same area as the others in that area. http://www.ppww.ca

I don't know if there are any Tours leaving from the town of Digby.

6. Re: Digby or Brier Island for Whale Watching?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2017, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Digby
More Digby Topics