We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

Boise, Idaho
1 post
Save Topic
Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

Does anyone know if you pay for both a vehicle plus passengers? The price for a car is $90 but I'm not sure if that would include the driver.

A passenger is $45, so with 2 people and a car would the total be $135 or $180?

9 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

I am not sure but would guess that each person must pay the passenger fare (passenger on the ferry, not in the car) and the fare for the car in high season is $90 plus a $20 fuel surcharge.

Two people plus a car would thus be $200. If no one can give a better answer then you can contact the company by phone: ferries.ca/nova-scotia-to-new-brunswick-ferr…

Depending where you want to go you are frequently much better off driving to Nova Scotia.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

My wife and I have been looking into the prices, here is what I have found:

Passenger Fares:

Adult (14 to 59 years) - $75.00/person (Round Trip)

Vehicle fare:

Vehicle up to 20' - $90.00 each way

Fuel Surcharge - $20 each way

for a total round trip of $370

Hope this helps.

Edited: 25 March 2015, 18:44
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

We are planning a fall trip through Canada starting at Vancouver. We will drive to PEI, then down to Dartmouth, NS. We want to take the Digby-St. John ferry just for a "lark". We have a RAM2500 and pulling a 35' 5th wheel trailer. I'm having trouble figuring out if we pay just for the length of the trailer or the trailer + the truck. Also, do we just pay that fee or do we have to pay for the 4 people in our party? I wish the Bay Ferries web page had more explicit on how to calculate the charges. Has anyone traveled on the Digby-St. John ferry while pulling a trailer?

Boston...
Level Contributor
87 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

I booked the ferry for this June. Cost was $92 for my car, $20 fuel charge and $46 each adult. Our 3 year old was free. The total fair for 2 adults, 1 kid and a car was $202. Price is in CAD.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

The way I read it the charge is $8.50 per foot and passengers are included. I would think it would be the total length of your vehicle and trailer. ferries.ca/nova-scotia-to-new-brunswick-ferr…

Why not call them and get better answers? 1-877-762-7245

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

Thanks for all of your replies. Well, I took your advice and called customer service. The lady was so friendly, helpful and patiently answered all my questions. So, here is what we figured out.

The CAD8.50 per foot is applied to both the trailer and the truck. Trailer is 35ft long and truck is 20ft long, so the maximum charge will be CAD467,50 + CAD20.00 fuel surcharge = CAD487.50. I was told that when we arrive at the toll booth at Digby, they will measure the length because the nose of the 5th wheel does overlap about 4-5 feet over the rear bumper and into the bed of the truck, so actual cost should be about CAD453.50 for the one-way trip. Those of you who said that passengers are included are correct. She did warn me to make my reservations EARLY because there is limited room for tall vehicles and tows that are "overheight" like a 5th wheel trailer and there could be the likelihood of being "bumped" to the next ferry with sufficient overheight space available.

My "lark" isn't worth that amount - we're driving around!!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

Thanks for getting back to us and confirming this information. I think driving around is the way to go.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

Wow, what a rip off. I would rather take and extra 4-5 hours and only about 45-50$ in gas to drive around.....

Edited: 10 August 2017, 02:24
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers

I love how they throw in these "surcharges" as if it is not ridiculously expensive enough as it is....unreal....

Reply to: Saint John to Digby ferry cost for car and passengers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Digby
More Digby Topics