We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria in mid-March

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Victoria in mid-March

My husband and I (mid-thirties) are looking to visit Victoria in mid-March. We don't really have any information to go from so far. I think someone mentioned renting an old fashioned car to go around. Can someone give me more details on this. Are the gardens nice to see in March? We do enjoy fine dining and would like to do high tea. Are there nice drives around the island or should we worry about renting a car? Any help in early planning would be appreciated. Thanks!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Victoria in mid-March

the Blue Crab is also a very nice dining experience with outstanding views of the harbour..

http://bluecrab.ca/

High tea at the Empress is over rated and over priced. Fun lobby to wander through, maybe even a drink in the Bengal Room, but the tea experience is ridiculously overpriced

look into

the White Heather

http://www.whiteheather-tearoom.com/

or Point Ellis

http://www.pointellicehouse.ca/

or combine tea with a visit to Butchart Gardens

I've never done tea there, but it gets nice reviews

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Victoria in mid-March

oooops.. Point Ellis isn't open until May... sorry my bad

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Victoria in mid-March

Blue Crab appears to be still renovating.

At coasthotels.com/about_coast/coastnews/2011/1… they say " The Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel & Marina and the Blue Crab Bar & Grill are scheduled to reopen in late April to early May 2012 just in time for the hotel's 21st anniversary on June 19, 2012."

The Blue Crab website doesn't mention it, but their Event Calendar still lists Christmas dinner (the reno was to start Dec. 27) and they aren't answering their phone.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Victoria in mid-March

If you like curry, then the Bengal room in the Empress is really good, and the room is lovely. I did high tea at The Gatsby House on Government St. And if your looking for a nice drive then I would recommend going to the town of Chemainus. Not too far a drive maybe 45 minutes. It's a little town that has many murals painted on the buildings that give the history of the town. You can even take a horse carriage ride through the town while the driver explains its history. I think we paid something like $10.00 each. Crazy when you think that they charge 5x more in Victoria. A horse is a horse of course of course, right? lol. Cute shops, and nice tea shops. Also we like to stay in the Queen Victoria hotel, my dh and I, but when I go with girl friends we do B&B's. Dashwood Manor is very nice, and I've stayed at Binner's, very nice and friendly people. Good location, out of the hustle and bustle, but close to the ocean. And if you find yourself getting thirsty, try The Beagle Pub on Cook Street. And make sure you take in Beacon Hill Park. Oh I love Victoria, always something to do :) Have fun.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Victoria in mid-March

oh ya!! I forgot about the renovation. man I am batting a thousand.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Victoria in mid-March

Victoria is pretty temperate and the gardens are open. The Clipper is the easiest way from Seattle and you don't need a car. You can catch an easy bus to Butchart Gardens, and I highly recommend Afternoon Tea at The Empress and the Royal BC Museum. The Empress has a $150 rate with bfk and parking on their front page www.fairmont.com/empress

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Victoria in mid-March

Afternoon tea at the Empress is well known locally as the biggest most blatant tourist gouge ever.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Victoria in mid-March

There are several other threads here about where to have a tea that balances excellence of experience with cost.

To be fair to the Empress, I just read an article about a guy who makes chairs by hand at $3600 each - and has made most of the chairs the Empress uses for tea.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Victoria in mid-March

well kawa, that kind of makes my point....

The Empress is a grand old dame, she is worth walking through just to soak up some of the atmosphere and elegance of days gone by. Even an overpriced bevvie in the Bengal room is a treat. But tea? nope

20. Re: Victoria in mid-March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 10:32