We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Tea in August

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
High Tea in August

Hi--we will be visiting Victoria for 1-2 days in the beginning of August 2012. We plan on visiting Butchart Gardens, possibly renting bikes to explore Beacon Hill Park and we would like to have high tea. I have read that the Empress Gardens is very expensive. Can anybody suggest some alternate locations? We would like the full experience but not something too touristy. I am not sure if we will have a car yet or not so something central to the harbor would be good as I think that is where we will be staying. Any suggestions as to things to do would be greatly appreciated as well. We love the outdoors and wildlife. Thank you for your help.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: High Tea in August

When is the holiday? I think we will be there August 6-8th...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,331 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: High Tea in August

Sunday August 5th, 2012. It's the finale to the "Symphony in the Summer” outdoor concert festival that extends over 10 days or so.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: High Tea in August

Thank you...it sounds like fun but I am sure it will make getting a hotel in our budget (no more then $150-200) per night more difficult. Might plan on a few days later...as always, thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: High Tea in August

au contraire imho! the symphony splash is a gas, come for it. i would be amazed if you could not find good accommodations in your price range (watch out for taxes, though, so shoot for maybe $150 so as to stay in budget.)

check out the Royal Scot for sure.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: High Tea in August

Tea at the Empress is a must do. You can imagine kings, queens, celebrities and dignitaries before you! The tea lobby is full of charm and certainly a must do when you come to Victoria!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: High Tea in August

Tea at the Empress is a must do if you want to be quickly parted of your $$$. It is over rated and really , really expensive. The Empress is worthy of a walk through but it certainly is a gouge at tea time

Edited: 12 March 2012, 00:09
Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: High Tea in August

A walk through The Empress is a must-do......a curry buffet lunch in the Bengal Lounge is almost a must do.....High Tea in the empress lobby?? So not a must do....

It is cheaper, even with taking a taxi, to go to White Heather Tea Room and have a real tea with much much better food and teas.

calgary
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: High Tea in August

If you're going to Butchart Gardens they have a lovely tea - cheaper than the Empress and a more beautiful setting.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: High Tea in August

What quicnytoo , flippr5657, and cruiseryyc said, right ,,, exactly, excellant posts !

The tea at the Empress is for those with" more dollars then sence " as my grandmother used to say, ,the food is inferior , and so over priced its scary.

Tea at White Heather is nice as there are many different "tea"(menu) choices, plus food is good, and the setting is lovely at Butchards,, both are of course cheaper then Empress.

That said, I also agree that walking through the Empress, and perhaps a drink or lunch at Bengal Room are must dos.

Edited: 30 March 2012, 10:32
Victoria
9 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: High Tea in August

I highly recommend two places in Victoria after trying them all. The Butchart Gardens has a lovely setting and the food is not bad at all. Service could be better, but the whole experience is charming. My pet peeve is high tea with tea bags for tea, but at the Butchart Gardens they serve loose tea. The second place I totally think you have to experience because of its uniqueness and charm, is the Venus Sophia in Chinatown. That place is full of character. Great service and lots of loose tea to choose from, food is very tasty and they give you big portions. Finally, both high teas at the Gardens and at Venus Sophia are very reasonably priced for what you get. You won't be disappointed!