We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Victoria Lodging Question

Orlando, FL
5 posts
Save Topic
General Victoria Lodging Question

Hi,

We (party of 5)are heading to Victoria in early June for 3-4 days. We will be coming from Vancouver and will not have a car (at least current plans are not to have a car). I am looking for suggestions on what part of the city we would want to stay in. Something fairly centralized to many of the activities. We are planning to visit Butchart Gardens but realize its a bit out of town so will need a taxi or bus for that.

And if anyone has any specific recommendations on places to stay in Victoria that would be great too! Probably something in the 2-4 star range.

We are really looking forward to the trip!

Thanks in Advance!

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Victoria Lodging Question

There are tours to the Gardens right in town. Also city tours. I would stay in town as there are a lot of well priced places in what is called the Inner Harbour. There is an all suite place called The Royal Scot which has a lot of amentities plus you can get your own breakfast or lunch since there is kitchen in unit,living room, dining room, pretty grounds. 4 stories. It is walking distance to town. I can make it easily and I have emphysema. Clean, comfortable, also a van that will take you to town or dinner,etc for just a tip to driver. a wonderful place with restaurant in hotel and others close by, pool, jacuzzi. We moved there from a dumpy little room at Best Western across the street for same price but it was off season.

Victoria B.C.
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Victoria Lodging Question

It is no problem if you do not have a car to get from Vancouver to Victoria. You can take the public bus from Vancouver to the ferry terminal and then get on public transit again on the other side to take you to downtown Victoria. You can also take the Pacific Coach Lines bus straight from Vancouver to Victoria-much easier if you're travelling with luggage ect!!

I would not take a taxi to Butchart Gardens as it would cost you a lot of money. Again, you can take the public bus for $2 each way, or take a tour bus from PCL(not too sure of the price).

Travels Inn usually has some of the cheaper prices and there are tons of them spread out around the city!!-don't stay at the one on Gorge Road if you want to be close to downtown as the bus system to that hotel doesn't run that frequently.

If you use the google.ca search engine you should be able to find a good deal for a hotel!

Here's a map of downtown Victoria so if you find a hotel on any of these streets then you are in the central tourist/downtown area!!

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Maps/?id=28

Hope that helps and have fun!!!

Victoria B.C.
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Victoria Lodging Question

It is no problem if you do not have a car to get from Vancouver to Victoria. You can take the public bus from Vancouver to the ferry terminal and then get on public transit again on the other side to take you to downtown Victoria. You can also take the Pacific Coach Lines bus straight from Vancouver to Victoria-much easier if you're travelling with luggage ect!!

I would not take a taxi to Butchart Gardens as it would cost you a lot of money. Again, you can take the public bus for $2 each way, or take a tour bus from PCL(not too sure of the price).

Travels Inn usually has some of the cheaper prices and there are tons of them spread out around the city!!-don't stay at the one on Gorge Road if you want to be close to downtown as the bus system to that hotel doesn't run that frequently.

If you use the google.ca search engine you should be able to find a good deal for a hotel!

Here's a map of downtown Victoria so if you find a hotel on any of these streets then you are in the central tourist/downtown area!!

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Maps/?id=28

Hope that helps and have fun!!!

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General Victoria Lodging Question

You might want to check the James Bay Inn- http://www.jamesbayinn.com - which, as well as rooms, offers a separate (2 bedrm) cottage where you could all stay together. The cottage also gives you the option of eating in, if only for breakfast, although there is a restaurant on site. Rates are good (IMHO), and it's "just a few short blocks" from BeaconHill Park, Inner Harbour area, etc. (true)

It's a short cab ride from the bus station; presumably how you'll be travelling from Vancouver since not using a car. FYI - car rental is available across from bus station in case you change your mind about that but, as people have said, you can get around quite well by walking & regular bus.

If time & interest allows, highly recommend taking the E&N Rail trip (the "Malahat") to/from Chemainus (Town of murals) - you'll have 5.6-6 hrs. to explore, and no trouble finding enough to see to fill the time! In June, advance reservations might be wise: 1.888.842-7245; but can try when you arrive: 388-5248.

No matter what you decide to see & do, I hope you thoroughly enjoy your trip!