We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for May

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
birmingham uk
Level Contributor
607 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack for May

Very sorry as iimagine this has been asked several times already.

We will be in Vancouver in mid May

What sort of clothes to pack?

What to wear in the evening?

Thanks once again

L

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for May

This is the casual west coast - you can assume jeans and casual shoes in all but the most elegant situations. Not to say that you can't dress up if you feel like it, but you'll find most people here don't. A nice top or blouse with some slacks or even nicer jeans will do you for most places, even the hotels and the theatre.

May is a tough one to predict. I've seen 30 degree heatwaves in May, although not in recent years. These days it does seem to tend to be more cold and wet in May, although you'll get all four seasons in one day. Bring layers that you add or remove through the day as things change. You're from Brum, you know the drill. :>

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for May

Vancouverite6 is correct. The last few years May has been cool and wet. Vancouverites have been wondering when it will warm up again. If you have a fleecy under a light jacket, you will be plenty warm enough. Layering is an excellent idea and I would pack an umbrella. It will probably not be raining hard enough that you would need to wear rain boots, but do wear a pair of shoes that can tolerate getting damp.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for May

Third voice to tell you similar thing. As easy to predict May weather here as it is in yours.

Layers, layers, layers and Vancouver is more casual than the UK. Personally I never leave home in the fall, winter and spring without waterproof shoes or boots(Gore-Tex) liners as I hate wet feet but that may be a bit OTT.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
51,976 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for May

FYI ~ May 21st is our Victoria Day long weekend. If you are planning on travelling to Vancouver Island that weekend, there will be advice ready for you for that.

2011 May stats: High 15C, Low 7.5C, rain 94 mm

2010 May stats: High 16C, Low 8C, rain 54 mm

2009 May stats: High 17C, Low 8.5C, rain 72 mm

2008 May stats: High 16.5C, Low 9C, rain 43 mm

100 mm = 4 inches

15C = 60F

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
607 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack for May

Looks like the Boden raincoat have my eye on deserves to be bought...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack for May

Glad to give you the excuse you needed!

I just wanted to add, regarding shoes, that it would be wise to bring two pairs for walking, in case one pair gets wet. Nothing worse than having to put wet shoes on the following day.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
51,976 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack for May

Does anyone still ball up newspaper to stuff into the toes of wet shoes so the soles don't curl? Or was that just in the day of leather shoes?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack for May

Sorry Mufti, that is so old school :-) ! All of my shoes are Gore Tex lined and I haven't had wet feet for 15+ years! Because of this I rarely take a second pair of shoes (went to England, Italy and Barcelona with the one pair for a few weeks, no prob), unless I am going hiking then the cross training, Gore Tex lined, low cut boots come along with a pair of gaiters. Hate wet feet!

And if this is the coat you're thinking of http://bit.ly/xQ2AbS Then, though I am not an expert in women's jackets, you'd probably do all right with it.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 15:50
9. Re: What to pack for May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2013, 10:20