We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

I have heard great things about Tofino for some time.

Now, my husband and I, his parents and two well-behaved pooches intend to visit the area in the 1st week in March-hopefully there is a storm or whale watching? The only reason we're going that week is to celebrate two birthdays.

So- my question is: coming from Bellingham WA and spending 3 nights at that time of year- what is the general weather? I don't want to go all that way just to find mainly drizzle. A good storm would be much more preferred.

And, also, it seems to be very hard to find 2 bedroom vacation rentals that don't have a ton of stairs leading to the front door and that have bedrooms downstairs.We're looking to rent a staircase free house if possible. Any suggestions/referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, if we happen to find the ideal place in Ucluelet, what are the main differences with Tofino?

Many thanks!

Edited: 26 December 2011, 08:04
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

Ucluelet is somewhat smaller than Tofino (they are both small!!), but Tofino is more tourist oriented. That is changing though, and Ucluelet is building more resort type places to stay. They also have a wonderful trail system along the coast. AND the lighthouse!! Tofino has Eagle Aerie Gallery, one of a kind, and so peaceful. Also, more tourist shops and eateries.

Check out the vrbo site for places to stay. I would be looking at Middle Beach Lodge as well. They have a couple of units that are pet friendly. Having the pets will limit you as to places to stay.

As far as the weather goes???? Do you have a crystal ball? There is no way to forecast that, but I would be packing rain gear for sure.

Whale watching should be a definite YES, but I know they are late getting to Maui this year... too much food up in Alaska!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,111 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

I have a feeling that your need for a minimum number of stairs and bedrooms on the ground floor coupled with your pets are going to be a challenge for you. I wish I had some ideas.

If you don't get any suggestions here, I would suggest you email the Tofino tourism office with your special needs. There is a contact us link on this website:

http://www.tourismtofino.com/

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

Thanks for the feedback- was thinking about Ucluelet as well, and I did do just that- checked out VRBO as well as tourismtofino. Let's hope the whales do show up- I live in Belingham, WA so am used to sogginess =]

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

We stayed at the Cox Bay Beach Resort in Tofino which is right on the beach. They have ground floor condos and I believe they allow pets. It was a nice place. Check out the reviews.

If your parents are not accustomed to long, winding car rides to drive through the mountains to get here, I would suggest a neck pillow to help with the car journey.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

Thank you - this resort looks great-my dilemma is stairs to the upstairs bedroom. As a matter of fact, not that anyone in my family is handicapped, but I haven't found many handicapped friendly resorts/accommodations- correct me if I'm wrong?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

Other suggestions -

Reference was made in post #1 to Middle Beach Lodge. Some of their single cabins (#55, #56, #57 an #58) have one bedroom on the ground floor, with the second bedroom upstairs.

www.middlebeach.com/accommodations.html

Also, but this may be a bit more rustic than what you are looking for, Ocean Village Resort has two-bedroom cabins all on the main floor -

oceanvillageresort.com/cottages-rates/single…

(You might look at two side-by-side ground floor units in the duplexes, if there are no two-bedrooms available for you.)

Next door to Ocean Village is Crystal Cove Resort -

http://www.crystalcove.ca/log-cabins

It may be that some of their two-bedrooms have everything on one floor. (They seem to specify that some of their two-bedrooms are two-story; so, it may be that where this is not specified, everything is on one floor. You would need to contact them.)

All are pet friendly.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 04:01
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

Thank you very much! Great tips and will keep all this bookmarked!

Port Alberni, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

Oh, and the weather? I'd say Bellingham's climate would be similar to Victoria's. Tofino, being on the outside of the island and not in the rainshadow of the Olympic Mtns, like Bellingham would be wetter.

vancouverislandnaturetours.com/wp-content/up…

And with the following link you will have more info than you need, and all in metric. Sorry about that.

…weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/…

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

That's OK on the weather- to be expected for that time of year. Would love it if there were A) a winter storm or B) some whales- thanks for the links!

Port Alberni, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tofino with elderly in-laws mid-March 2012

Well we're having a real good storm now. Wind, rain, power outages, ferry cancellations and other mayhem!