We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there Bears on Salt Spring Island?

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Are there Bears on Salt Spring Island?

We are going to be visiting SSI for a few days late July. We want to go hiking and I’m wondering if there are bears on the island as I’m concerned that we may run into one. Someone mentioned that there are no bears on the Gulf Islands? Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,724 posts
152 reviews
1. Re: Are there Bears on Salt Spring Island?

No bears. No worries.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
85 reviews
2. Re: Are there Bears on Salt Spring Island?

Salt Spring Island, BC. ... From time to time, a bear is spotted, usually on the south end of the island, and there are also occasional reports of a cougar being seen, sometimes even close to Ganges. It is believed that bears and cougars swim across Sansum Narrows from Vancouver Island.

A Guide to Salt Spring Island BC Canada

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
1 review
3. Re: Are there Bears on Salt Spring Island?

I can report positive sightings of Raccoons, Beavers and the ubiquitous Deer but Bears it seems prefer quieter surroundings.

pender Island , BC
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Are there Bears on Salt Spring Island?

Currently there is a cougar on the island. They will swim across from Vancouver island from time to time and usually they are not here for long. Have lived in the Gulf islands since 2007. Have never seen a bear here. If you are camping there are lots of rats and raccoons so be sure to stow your food appropriately.

Reply to: Are there Bears on Salt Spring Island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salt Spring Island