We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kelowna - a couple of questions

Which Kelowna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kelowna - a couple of questions

Hi,

We are heading to Big White in a couple of weeks and need to ask a few questions - hoping locals or frequent travellers might be able to help out.

We arrive in Kelowna early afternoon but can't check in up on the slopes until 4pm, so we were hoping to leave one of our party with all the stuff at the airport and hit the shops so we can get some supplies to take up with us. How far would you say it would be to the closest grocery store to the airport, and would we need to take a taxi to get there?

Also, the BW shuttle is exorbitantly priced for a party of our size. Last time we came we had 1 less person and we caught a taxi up the mountain - which from memory cost us about $100, but was a cheaper way than the shuttle. This time we have 5 people (3 adults, 2 children) travelling and all our ski gear so we are not sure if we could all fit into a taxi together?

Does anyone know of any other options of transportation to get up the mountain or how much a cab costs to get up there these days? (we haven't been in 4 years)

Thanks in advance!

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

found this shuttle company :

http://www.ok-limo.com/Ski-Shuttle.html

also found this one:

ridebooker.com/book/airports/ylw/big-white

then this one :

bigwhite.com/plan-your-trip/…

but they all look pretty pricey.

Have you thought about renting a mini van & drive yourself up there?

Provide a few more details & I'll check in morning for some more options.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

Thanks Suiteasitgets.

We thought about hiring a car but last time we came we found we had too much luggage to fit into a sedan and there were no SUVs at Kelowna airport to hire.

Plus we would not be confident enough driving up the mountain on the other side of the road to where we usually drive here in Australia!

We are arriving on 30th January during the day.

I will check out those links you have supplied but it was around $80 per adult and $55 and $30 (roughly) for the kids on the BW shuttle bus for a round trip - we figured there must be a cheaper way than $325 for our group to get up there and back!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

You have Walmart, Coopers and Safeway all within about a 10 minute drive. Coopers is on Hwy 33, just off Rutland Rd, which is on the way to BW. Other than shuttle or taxi, not sure of any other way up to BW. Only suggestion is to google kelowna shuttles and see what show's up. Enjoy your trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

Thanks gibee44 - I did a bit of googling last night and came up with several cab companies and limo/private shuttle services. So far I've emailed several and had 2 quotes back.

One was crazy ($240 one way) the other was great ($130 one way) but my only concern with the cheaper one would be the room in the vehicle. Even though I specified it was 5 passengers, plus luggage and ski equipment, they are saying we will only need to hire a wagon - so I've just emailed them back, hopefully to clarify if we will ALL fit in there - no point if we have to get 2 of them.

I remember going to Walmart in Kelowna, but can't really remember much about the location or it's proximity to the airport as it wasn't on the way that I went up - we came down the mountain to go to Walmart last time we came - I was heavily pregnant and couldn't ski so shopped instead LOL

And I think our original plan of leaving one (or more) persons with the luggage at the airport is still probably our best bet, unless we can get the taxi to collect from 2 locations (airport then walmart where some of us can cab to first)

Edited: 11 January 2012, 00:47
Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

The airport is out of town. Your plan isn't impossible but I think it may run up costs. The problem with leaving one person at the airport is the need to go back and pick that person and the luggage up. Have the cab you take from the airport drop the luggage and one member of your group at the bus station. At least that is in town, close to the shops and then you can all head up the slopes together.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

thanks Redtrail - will keep that in mind

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

Make sure that your shuttle company knows your have 2 kids.. Car seats are mandatory now.. You should be OK if you have a full sized mini van to take you up.

Redtail is right about getting a cab from airport to bus depot for everyone & luggage. The bus depot is very close to Wal Mart & Safeway. There is a liquor store in the Wal Mart area for those "adult " beverages..

Keep us posted on your progress..

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

If you take the shuttle ask them to stop at Coopers for a a short time and you can run in and pick up food. There is a liquor store across the street. It might cost a few more bucks but with our Canadian hospitality they may offer to assist you. As mentioned, you pass Coopers on the way to BW. Email the Shuttle and inquire if they would do it for you. Have fun.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

Just wondering regarding your comment Suiteasitgets - if we arrive and hire a taxi what happens then? We will not be bringing our seat with us from Australia.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kelowna - a couple of questions

I'm not sure.. I would presume that some of their cabs would be equipped with seats or have seats available at their office?