We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hostels for view

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
best hostels for view

Can someone tell me what hostels in the area they recommend for the view. I know there are some wilderness hostels and just curious what hostels you recommend. I am not much of a hiker, just like to be around beautiful scenery. Thanks for the help.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best hostels for view

Will you have your own vehicle? None of the hostels in Jasper National Park are in town (one is in the planning stages, but constructions hasn't yet begun) and public transportation in the area is almost non-existent. The closest two hostels are the Whistlers and Maligne Canyon, both about 10 or 11 km from town. The Whistlers is partway up a mountain of the same name (named for marmots, which have a whistling warning call) and there may be views from some areas of the building, of the Athasbasca valley and the townsite area on one side, and up the slope of the mountain on the other. Maligne Canyon hostel is in a forested area, as are many other hostels, such as the Athabasca Falls hostel. The Mt. Edith Cavell probably has some views of nearby peaks.

One other consideration... if you are travelling with someone else, some of the cheaper private home accommodations (PHAs) in town are priced at only a bit more than a hostel stay for two. www.stayinjasper.com - price range is one of the criteria you can use on the search page.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best hostels for view

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I looked at the website for the private homes and some of them look great...Thanks again for all the helpful information.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best hostels for view

Personally I like Maligne Canyon. It's in the forest, as are most of them, with a view to only one side up towards Roche Bonhomme. It's rustic (outhouses and no running water) but that also means it's isolated. Watch for bears in the parking area. Incidentally, the hostel is just up the road from the trailhead for the world-famous Skyline Trail, and across the road from Maligne Canyon, a popular tourist attraction.

It is also on the Maligne River which descends from Maligne Lake, location of the tour boats that cruise up to Spirit Island, and trailhead for many well-travelled trails. That means there's a lot of traffic during the day, and if you don't drive, all you have to do is stick out your thumb and you'll get a ride. Maligne Lake and Medicine Lake offer some of the more spectacular views, and if you want scenery, you'll enjoy the ride.

The Mt Edith Cavell hostel is probably closest to the views you're after. It's just a few hundred metres from the start of the Angel Glacier trail and the more demanding Cavell Meadows trail. On the other hand, it's a long slow ride to get there, and like the Athabasca Hostel, it's a half-hour drive from town.

4. Re: best hostels for view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 10:21