We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close to U of Calgary? Apart-hotel? Or?

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
126 reviews
Close to U of Calgary? Apart-hotel? Or?

Hi!

I'm spending two weeks in class this summer at U of C- so far have booked on campus accommodations; but am hoping that someone here may have a better idea? There is no stove in the accommodation available.

Does anyone know of anything close to U of C- walking distance- like an apart-hotel? Ideally with a King sized bed and a full kitchen and at least a balcony? I'm really unfamiliar with this part of town and can't seem to find anything through searching...

Thanks so much!

6 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Close to U of Calgary? Apart-hotel? Or?

To be walkable, you're either looking at on-campus or in the block of hotels (Motel Village) right around Crowchild & 16th Ave NW. But I think you will struggle to find something with all the amenities you want.

Full kitchens are fairly rare outside of apartments/condos and proper long-stay apart-hotels -- more expense/more inspections for the operators. King sized bed perhaps, but balconies -- not really an area that lends itself to balconies. Hotels, outside luxury ones, often aren't into that kind of added risk. These days you're lucky to have more than a tiny window that opens, let alone a balcony (at least external).

And the university area doesn't have a huge demand -- students are renting flats/rooms, and visitors tend to be short term or staying on campus. The apart-hotels tend to be downtown or around the airport.

I think you're either looking to legally rent a flat/condo or have to stay further away.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,162 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Close to U of Calgary? Apart-hotel? Or?

+1 to Ksned's response. I thought that perhaps the oldest of the Motel Village hotels near the U of C might have a kitchenette, but no such luck. You may as well stay at Hotel Alma or one of the Alma Seasonal Residences, as the best you can do is available on campus (as well as at Motel Village hotel): a fridge, microwave, and sink. No balconies at U of C, if I recall correctly, but lots of green space on campus to enjoy.

Although the C-Train has a stop at the U of C (University Station), there are no hotels close by via C-Train except for those at Motel Village (Banff Trail Station).

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: Close to U of Calgary? Apart-hotel? Or?

Thanks to you both for your responses! I think we'll stick with the on-campus housing.

Also wondering about the area; is it walkable to restaurants, pubs, grocery store, etc? If so, is it Brentwood that I should be looking at for the neighbourhood, or is it University Heights?

Thanks again!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,162 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Close to U of Calgary? Apart-hotel? Or?

Catch the C-Train at University Station to Brentwood Station, or walk. There are a number of malls in the Brentwood area, as well as at least two pubs, two grocery stores, various fast food options (Opa, Harvey's, Wendy's), and lots of other shops for anything else you may need (e.g. London Drugs, Bed Bath & Beyond). Brentwood is easy to spot these days because of the four color-coded University City condo towers, one each in orange, green, yellow, and red.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
5. Re: Close to U of Calgary? Apart-hotel? Or?

Go to MacEwan Hall (U of C) for food and drinks.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,162 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Close to U of Calgary? Apart-hotel? Or?

Yup, lots of places to eat & drink at the U of C's Mac Hall, most notably the Den / Black Lounge.

Edited: 15 June 2018, 05:14
Reply to: Close to U of Calgary? Apart-hotel? Or?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted